Harbor Freight Throatless Shear

bobs409

Administrator
Good tool too, mine has a smaller base ,I put two bolts in back holes with double nuts and can clinch in vise to use it ,then can put it away when not using .I can do every thing that one does.

Can you cut arcs and circles with that style shear? It looks more like it only makes straight cuts. :rub

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well get one so you can answer my question. :D
The one I have does every thing that I need to do.I can cut straight or curve 's.I will say that one would be quicker cutting straight line since the jaws are straight. Simply line up the jaw and pull handle and do not have to move the metal On straight lines I make a mark on the metal and use masking tape to the line makes it easier to follow than a thin scratch mark or pencil and simply follow that tape edge by shifting the metal as you cut. It took a little use to figure that out.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, I unpacked the replacement shear tonight. All of the bolts are tight as they should be, little play but much better than the previous one out of the box. Blade seems to have proper clearance, didn't measure it though. Put a couple bolts in the holes and clamped it in the vice as suggested, it cuts 16 gauge well! I also noticed that the casting is different on this one, slightly. The other must have been from a different batch???

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, I unpacked the replacement shear tonight. All of the bolts are tight as they should be, little play but much better than the previous one out of the box. Blade seems to have proper clearance, didn't measure it though. Put a couple bolts in the holes and clamped it in the vice as suggested, it cuts 16 gauge well! I also noticed that the casting is different on this one, slightly. The other must have been from a different batch???
Jim I put a bolt in the back holes long enough to be able to tighten bolts to base and then double nut the bolt. With the double nut the vice had more area to grab onto. That way even if the base is not setting on base which you do want any way there is absolutely no wobble of cutter in vice. If you only laid bolts loose you might get some looseness or wobble. Of course I leave the bolts and nuts in the base ready to put in vice again .

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim I put a bolt in the back holes long enough to be able to tighten bolts to base and then double nut the bolt. With the double nut the vice had more area to grab onto. That way even if the base is not setting on base which you do want any way there is absolutely no wobble of cutter in vice. If you only laid bolts loose you might get some looseness or wobble. Of course I leave the bolts and nuts in the base ready to put in vice again .
I just put a couple bolts, as you suggested, just temporarily so I could see if this thing cut metal. It does, and until I find a place to mount it, I will use your method to mount it in the vice. Thanks Don.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Here are a couple pictures before cleaning off all of the grease or cosmoline.View attachment 73575View attachment 73576
The previous shear had extra casting on the under side which the upper blade would hit at the bottom of it's stroke.
Definitely not same as mine, so the myth that Eastwood rebrands hb stuff repaints is in this case false. Fake news!!!!:D