Hard starting

indytaco

I’m new to posting so be kind, 1961car won’t start after short run, coil has been replaced , haven’t touched anything else, I work in one city live in another. I was thinking about electronic ignition thoughts ?348 250 hp power glide

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site indytaco. Some additional information on your engine may help with the feedback members here can provide. Is the engine stock? Stock or replacement carb? Any recent work done on the car? You could have a fuel system or ignition problem.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ground on batt has bad connection at batt or to frame. Run two grounds of thick guage wire. One to block and one to frame.
Old guy told me thats difference between hot dragging and cold draging. Smart sum bitch!!
Hot dragging is ground issue.
It's been my experience that hot dragging only was alway's starter itself .Just happened a few years ago on my 66 Chevy pickup. Installed new starter took care of hot slow crank.Start's hot just like it was cold.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep, my old cars the bushing would swell up and get tight when hot, replacing the starter always solved it, unless the car is running hot, then that would be the first step for me.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check the dist cap as well.If it's damp inside,that moisture will condense on the terminals as the engine warm up,causing cross fire and hard starting.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Went through alot of starters, batteries and rebuilting distributor trying to get 427 to start. Always hot it would drag. At HD dealer hood up cussing an old guy in '62 or so impala walked over, assessed the situation and told me check ground to batt and frame. I did and frame was loose. Never ever had starting issue again. My old mans 454 pickup had same issue. Same fix.
Its free so why not try that first?
Other problems could cause same issue but they all entail spending money to see if that's what caused issue.

indytaco

There seems to be no ground issues turnover is fine and fast, no spark .bone stock ignition, Imwas thinking of a eletronic ignition.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you've checked and there is no spark when hot, it might be the condenser as models posted above. But you should still run some tests to be sure before you start changing parts or even upgrading to electronic ignition. Make sure you have power at the coil with the key on. It could be an electrical supply issue like the firewall plug or ignition switch.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Accel makes a kit also to replace points and that one you don't have to move lower gear to install. Actually you don't have to remove distributor either to install. I put a pertronic one in years ago in a pickup I once owned and I had to remove distributor and lower gear . There is a video that shows installation on a old two guys garage show ,just google accell replacement point kit .

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Heck,90 percent of the time,I never even remove the dist.from the engine to do a pertronix installation,but I was using the basic kits.There have been changes over the years,so I don't doubt what Don ran into either.