Hardened exhaust valve seats?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Since day automotives Tony Shaffer installed Martin Wells hardened exhaust valve seats in the 409 stroker that was raffled off at the 409 Convention. Does this put to bed the controversy of hitting water when putting in hardened seats??:dunno Of course when done with the correct size seats. I will be taking my 690s to the machine shop this comming week. # 7 exhaust valve seat is gone and # 1 doesn't look much better. I will have to install a valve seat. I am kind of up in the air on replacing all of them with inserts. Since I have to replace one maybe two, why not replace all of them with hardened seats! The exhaust valve seats that is. I think the seats cost around 4.50 apiece, don't know how much to install. :scratch

gearhead409

Well Known Member
i wouldn't be afraid to use the short seat in these heads, i have some done that way myself. but i like Lamar Waldan's suggestion of using larger valves to restore the seat too. it's kind of a toss-up as to which way to go.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
comming out party

Guy that did my heads said the short hard seat has a tendency to come out with big springs and race profile cams and valves slamming on them. SS valves are a must on hard seats. I think they are somewhat softer and stronger. Kind of a 50/50 deal on what to do. Let us know what you decide and why.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My machine shop owner and myself are going to huddle with Tony Shaffer! I will keep the membership involved.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Seats

Ray, be careful with the hardened seats. I've heard that if the head gets hot, or the motor overheats, they do have a tendancy to fall out. I know it is a different deal, but I have had valve seats fall out of lawnmower engines. That was from overheating. The muffler had a hole in it that blew onto the head. I'd hate to see that happen to those heads you have put so much work into. Or the whole motor, for that fact.
Gearhead had the idea to go to bigger valves. Might be a better idea if there is enough room. I know standard seat inserts are too deep. They can only use a shallow insert, and that's the problem. Not enough meat to hold them. Maybe a street motor.
Just be careful.

Fred

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Hardened exh. seats

Several years ago,1999,when I was in the process of building a 409 for my Suburban, I also had the dilemma about haredened exh. seats. I had heard thru the grapevine about "hitting water". I decided to find out just how deep you could cut an exh. seat before hitting water, so I took an old scrap 817 head to my machinist and ask him to cut all the exh. seats until he reached the water jacket. All were over .300. He informed me about using a shallow exh.seat, about .250 if memory is correct. Since I planned on using the Suburban for towing purposes, I decided to install them. I have over 25,000 miles on the engine and have not had any problems. These were 817 heads.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Good enough for Tony!

We are looking into oversize valves as an option. The thing is, in the Chevy Rumble article of the Convention, Tony Shaffer of Day Automotive replaced all of the exhaust seats on the stroker build. Did he have too?? I doubt it. Seems like he knows something I don't!!!!!!! Would Tony , a W engine expert, install hardened inserts in 690 heads when not needed if he thought there was a chance of failure or hitting water?? I am going to try and talk to Tony about this one on one and put this controversy to bed once and for all. :cuss

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Keep us posted

Hey Fatride

I'd be very interested in the response from Tony.....:bow
I will be having a set of 690's done up soon for the 63 project and was wondering
the same thing......

Thanx for the info

bj:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gerry said:
Several years ago,1999,when I was in the process of building a 409 for my Suburban,.

Gerry, Was that your `Burban at the convention ?

If so it was a high light to see it !!!:clap ,,dq

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Convention

DQ,

Yes, that was the Old Burb. at the convention. Thanks for the compliment.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Early Bird

Gerry, do you get up in the middle of the night to look at this site???????????

4:28 AM?????????? Didn't know there was one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll

Fred

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
409 Suburban

Hey Gerry

Was that the white 3 door Suburban with the injected 409.........:cool:

That was a sweet conversion.....my favorite truck, color and engine.........:bow

Nice truck.......great tow vehicle.........
I agree with DQ.........that was a high light of the convention.........:clap

bj:cheers

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nice Sub!

Ditto from me:cool: NUT

Attachments

• IM001085.JPG
    IM001085.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 60