Harley Sportsters

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I dont know how the Sportster got the chick bike tag hung on it. They were the hot rod of Harleys. Light, nimble....and faster than a big one . Maybe not so much with the big engines now but they are still a sports car compared to any other model. My problem was always being vertically challenged so I had to ride Softails. I always wanted a 57 Sportster. But now I crave a Servicar....but jeebus those are pricey now right along with the vintage Sporty. The 72’s were killer looking with the whites and hard candy colors. I may just look for one of these ! I love the green too but....death rides the green scooter !

29D67BF4-C2C2-48F7-8C30-834FADE42CB5.jpeg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well here is my opinion, I have been riding and own Harleys for 49 years (1972). I currently own 3 Harleys, a Sportster, a Street Glide and a Dyna Wide Glide. I don't think you will like the Sportster as they are to small but nimble, the Street Glide is great on the road but cumbersome around town and on short rides (850 lbs), if it gets off center at a stop you will be on the ground, and last is the Dyna Wide Glide it is a good combination of Big and nimble especially if it has been lowered. My Dyna Wide Glide is my go to bike for just having fun on and yes it is lowered. A Dyna Wide Glide has a narrow 21" front wheel that makes it very manageable at slow speeds and tight places.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had thought of building a street tracker. A used 1200 Sportster came in to the shop I worked at. I took it out for a ride and forgot about that idea.
42 years as a powersports tech I did work on many different cycles. It would need to be a later twin cam before I would consider a HD.
Maybe growing up around old Indian motorcycle riders have something to do with my views.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I had thought of building a street tracker. A used 1200 Sportster came in to the shop I worked at. I took it out for a ride and forgot about that idea.
42 years as a powersports tech I did work on many different cycles. It would need to be a later twin cam before I would consider a HD.
Maybe growing up around old Indian motorcycle riders have something to do with my views.
Remember the HD dealer being on the road to Gavins Point dam? Before that HD dealer was located near Chrysler dealer on Hwy 50.
I wonder where all those Knuckles and Pans that hung out at Icehouse disappeared to

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The last HD dealer in Yankton that I know of was George Martin in the mid 1950s. He was Badly injured on the shoulder of hwy 81 about where Wilson trailer is now. He was working on a cycle when a drunk driver hit him. He was later in Lesterville then Menno. Auctioned his shop in the mid 1980s.
Ryan oil was the Chrysler Dodge dealer. I remember a late 60s Hemi full sized, New Yorker?, in the showroom. Walt Nelson had a shop across the street and 1/2 block west. Later in a old railroad depot.
Zimmerman motors was Plymouth on hwy 50. Bud Rieman had the shop across from there until he went to prison for the rest of his life.
I know of one 1950 panhead that had been chopped and now returned to stock.
One old 45 flathead chop might be in a warehouse yet.
One man I remember from the Scrambler club days, mid 1970s, later had a Honda shadow I worked on, came riding into HyVees parking lot on his old chop a couple of years ago. Panhead, at least +12 forks, 5 ft high twin fishtails. Cloud of smoke from everywhere. I just shook my head and smiled.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Lived by Bud Rieman. Hes been out several years. My brother was one of the catchers for Scramblers out at brick quarry for years. Jim Stout worked at HD dealer in some capacity from maybe 1969 to about 1977. Last HD dealer that was in Yankton was located 1/4 mile east of Game and Parks Hatchery. Stout was PE teacher at Beadle School when i was there then as Woods Shop teacher in middle school. Zimmerman your right....i forgot name.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think Rieman has died in 2010. I heard he got some work release later on. I don't think any shop was an authorized dealer since Martin. Just independent repair shop.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I started working at the Honda dealer in 1974 about a mile from the fish hatchery.
My brother had 73 Sportster and a 74 Superglide. Both bought in Sioux Falls.
I think I would have known about a dealership in the area.