Harmonic Balancer timing mark

Junky

Well Known Member
When I was looking at my harmonic balancer, I noticed that the hash mark on the front on the outside of the balancer was about 1/8" off to one side of the hash mark on the inside of the balancer. This leads me to thinking that it has slipped. I know on the Corvair balancer's, that they can be rebuilt. Does anyone offer this service for the full size cars? thanks Junk

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Try Damper Dudes in California, I think they rebuild originals.
they have a web site
First I would put the engine at top dead center and check to see where your marks are. Did it shift forward or back too? 1/8 of an inch doesn't sound like much but that is significantly off for an engine relying on it to keep the harmonics to a minimum so the engine will hold together.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,especially if you plan to rev it up often.When checking for slippage remember that they'll almost always slip to the retard side.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,especially if you plan to rev it up often.When checking for slippage remember that they'll almost slip to the retard side.
I was just going to mention the direction of slippage too. That reminds me. My 348 balancer in my wagon is off. Nathan will remember, we tried to use the timing light on it and it wasn't working at all. We didn't look further into why at the track last year but I know better now.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was just going to mention the direction of slippage too. That reminds me. My 348 balancer in my wagon is off. Nathan will remember, we tried to use the timing light on it and it wasn't working at all. We didn't look further into why at the track last year but I know better now.

Yup I remember wherever we tried to set it with the light it was not happy!

Junky

Well Known Member
Couple of questions... Can I remove the balancer without removing the radiator, and removing the fan shroud? Anyone know the part number, since a friend has some NOS balancers and has offered me one of his, if it is the correct part number.. 1962 - 327/300 HP Powerglide. What size is the bolt head that holds the balancer onto the crankshaft? thanks Junk

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I am pretty sure the shroud is going to be in the way to remove the balancer. You may not have to remove the radiator. The fan will probably be in the way to remove the shroud and maybe the top radiator hose too.

Junky

Well Known Member
I have read the 1961 and 1962 shop manual, and then watched a few youtube videos, and it appears that I am going to need a special tool to remove and reinstall the balancer. One video recommended a particular brand of tool, but the reviews on that one claim that the tool fails after a couple of uses. Any suggestions on a quality puller / installer? I have always been partial to Snap-On, however, I didn't find this tool in the catalog. Thanks for the help.. This video was impressive.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My installation tool is homemade from a 6 or 7 inch piece of redi rod. Or redi bolt. (Pre threaded rod). I have one that is 7/6 nf and one 1/2 nf depending on W, sbc or bbc. I use a combination of washers and sometimes a socket for a spacer to pull back on.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm certain my puller is the cheapest they made 26 years ago. Haven't had any issues but if you torque that puller down and the balancer won't budge then remember the key way could get rust on it and make it harder to pull off. You can use heat but be careful not to destroy the junk balancer since they can be rebuilt. You will most certainly need to replace the front seal in the timing cover that the balancer fits in.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have 2, a Snap-On and a MAC. I have pulled to many to count with this MAC puller as I have had it for 45 years. The Snap-On is extremely high quality as is the MAC, both come with an assortment of bolts to use with the puller.