Harmonic Balancer

Skip's 61

I'm in the final preparations before putting gas in the carbs to see if I rebuilt my 348 correctly. I started this rebuild in 2008 and fell into ill health. Looking over my notes, I noticed I made a comment regarding the harmonic balancer. Although the balancer was pressed on, I would feel more comfortable if it was bolted. Any thoughts as to the preferable install?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I ran the poop out of my 348 with a pressed on harmonic balancer. Never a problem. Had it off and on at least three times. Don't worry about it.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I would bolt it on. Make a jig to fit over the crank snout and drill it on size. I believe a 409 is 1/2” NF. Get a drill index and drill and tap (use tap magic) to max thread engagement. Torque to 80 psi. Do all above or not! However if it comes off or loose you be in deep shut! And that’s a fact.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Is your crank already drilled for the bolt? If so,it's the same as a small block,Get a bolt and washer and put it in.Gene's right on the torque spec.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Could be however I believe mine is 1/2 nf regardless there is enough “meat” there to tap to 3/4”!