Harrell's Stolen Z-11 Engine

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I was told a story yesterday by lifetime NM resident and hotrodder about the theft of Dickie Harrell's Z-11 engine. He said that he thought he knew who the thief was, though it was long after the statute of limitations ran out when he came to know this. Anyway the engine was stolen and at some point after, it was installed in an MG. The rest of the story apparently came to light when the 2nd owner of the Z-11 powered MG, a SW Texas farmer, put it up for sale some years ago.

The storyteller would not name the alleged thief because he didn't have hard proof and he was deceased. He also did not know what became of the engine. I don't know if any of this is true, but is was at least an interesting tale. Maybe Larry (Parts) has some insight to this story.

Parts

Well Known Member
Just stopped by for a minute, have to leave but I will tell you what I know when I get back later today.
Larry

Parts

Well Known Member
When I heard this story year before last from a guy that lives south of Albuquerque it was just a 409 that was stolen. Guess engines get bigger with time like some stories do. To begin with, Dick had more than one Z 11 engine, but that is another story for another time.
I never heard about this engine until this guy told me about it and who the suspect was. I have a picture of the car with a W motor in it out of a magazine. I do remember one time in Amarillo, we were at one of Ernie Walkers (Owner of the Drag Strip) gas stations changing the gear in the White Z 11. We were hooking the tow bar up to leave when Dick saw some one he knew working on an MG with a 409 in it. We walked over to the car and Dick told him the reason it would not start was that it was flooded bad. The guy looked up and then walked away and he and some of his buddies brought a 24 volt battery over and jumped it. You could smell raw gas bad. We backed away a couple feet and about that time they hit it with the voltage and the engine hydraulic ed and cracked the cylinder wall. Gas was everywhere and that was the end of that week end for the MG. I never heard Dick say a bad word about any one in my entire life. When this happened he gave his patented grin, shook his head and said something like "Thats too bad" and we left. I will not mention any names either but would really like for rwagon to get me and the guy that told him this story together to visit. One of the reasons I joined this site is to keep the BS about Dick to a minimum if possible.
Thanks
Larry
/I]

blown 409

Well Known Member
coupe

mine is a 26 very worked over 32 fenders/grille purple camiellin with ghost flames, Tim

Attachments

• 9034582568442-blown-hemi-aluminum-heads-tubbed.jpg
    9034582568442-blown-hemi-aluminum-heads-tubbed.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 9497220179446.jpg
    9497220179446.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 8487045867183.jpg
    8487045867183.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 4433169147001-blown-hemi-aluminum-heads-tubbed.jpg
    4433169147001-blown-hemi-aluminum-heads-tubbed.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 8163173942768-blown-hemi-aluminum-heads-tubbed.jpg
    8163173942768-blown-hemi-aluminum-heads-tubbed.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 66

Parts

Well Known Member
Wow!! Nice ride. I hope you have a bigger gas tank than I do. I can't go to the gas station with out stopping at a gas station. I have only a 302 Ford, not a Humongous Hemi without W heads as Ronnie said. I wil post a couple more pics of mine.

Larry
mine is a 26 very worked over 32 fenders/grille purple camiellin with ghost flames, Tim

blown 409

Well Known Member
coupe

Thank,s guys if i would of built car it would be a W but i bought it this way, thought the 57 392 was cool Tim