Has anyone filled in the valve reliefs for the purpose of building compression.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Another question that keeps coming up. Filling in valve reliefs. It would seem to be as easy as taking a block into a shop with the ability and experience of welding on cast engines. I'm not asking for pros and cons on why you would or wouldn't want to do it for technical reasons like valve size and the shrouding created by that pocket. This is only for the purpose of boosting compression based question.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this,but you'd pick up about a point of compression if you did.That wouldn't necessarily mean more power though.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sure you could. I don’t know why you would though. Even a stock stroke is capable of a minimum of 13:1 with a custom piston and it would be superior and cheaper than welding the block.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys. Had a guy with a Truck block and 2 reliefs asking my opinion on filling one or both per cylinder. He isn't going to boost. Pistons would be my answer but I have to ask. There are a thousand other variables to consider but for the average person this informs.