has anyone used one of these power steering kits?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This dosent look bad,price-wise,but as 1958 delivers posted,the pump to engine brackets wont work,,but Show Cars does list them,and they'll make the kit work for you.If I'm not mistaken,others can enlighten me here,the 605 box will cause you to go with an aftermarket radiator that has been notched for clearence.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the 605 is OK for clearance with stock radiator, it's the Cpp box that has clearance issues.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I put a 605 box in my 63 and I'm using a stock radiator with ample room.
Ken......................

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I only use the CPP500 box for power steering conversions. I buy 2 - 3 a month and just received a new version this week. I haven't taken it out to compare it to the older version to see what the differenmces are, but will some time this week. For the money you can't beat them. They also have the 348/409 p/s pump brackets (PS409-S ). Since the CPP 500 box on ebay comes with hoses and rag joint, I usually order an 18" 3/4" DD shaft (CPP1850-D) and a 3/4" DD X 3/4" DD u-joint (CPP-UJ6 ) so I can retain the stock steering column and get a collapsible steering shaft at the same time. To control the slop inherent with the 62 center links, I order a 6164slk kit from CPP as well for 129.00. It comes with a new idler arm, 63-64 style solid center link and a 63-64 style pitman arm. For p/s pumps, I just order one from O'Reilly for a 67 Impala SBC ( Part # 20-6084). It has the original style reservoir with the higher output pressure valve for 49.00 plus 25.00 core.

mac1

Well Known Member
Brian, I'd like to know how that newer version 500 box fits. I have a four row rad and I've heard the original 500 box will hit it. Maybe this is the updated box I've been hearing about.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Brian, will that #20-6084 pump fit the 409 power steering brackets, does it come with a pulley, and will it line up without having to do any shimming of the water pump pulleys??

Many Thanks

Lonnie

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, will that #20-6084 pump fit the 409 power steering brackets, does it come with a pulley, and will it line up without having to do any shimming of the water pump pulleys??

Many Thanks

Lonnie

Lonnie-

Yes, It will fit. Just installed one today on a 409 with the p/s brackets from CPP. It does not come with the pulley or the adjustment stud on the back.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, I'd like to know how that newer version 500 box fits. I have a four row rad and I've heard the original 500 box will hit it. Maybe this is the updated box I've been hearing about.

I hope it is the "new" version that was supposed to correct that issue. As soon as I pull it out, I will let all know if it is.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Brian, Thanks! The P/S setup that Scott bought, the brackets are fine, but the pulley will not line up correctly. Not sure if it is a pump problem or a pulley problem. We can check one of these pumps and see if there is a difference in them. Again, THANKS!!

Lonnie

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I am trying to install a 500 box on my 63 409. Just wondering what pulley you use? I have the stock 409 pulley. Is that ok to use in your opinion?

El Rat

Well Known Member
I just installed a CPP box in my 63. It fit but just barely! I used a ps pulley from Billet Speciaities 6” diameter.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Note: I shimmed the box slightly toward the passenger side to get the rag joint off of the frame. One bolt with a hardware flat washer.
Really nice smooth box 2.7 turns lock to lock.