Hayden Proffitt 62

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Interested in some feedback on making some changes to replicate this 62' of Mr. Hayden Proffitt's 62. You I missed several events over the last few years due to a serious illness in my family; last being Bowling Green. Now my daughter is in school at University of Maryland; Baltimore County, studying engineering. I refused to allow her to take any loans, my Aunt & Uncle gave her a car for graduation (God Bless Uncle Bill and Aunt Loretta) and the funds are not there for a proper paint job to replace the fading 30 year old Candy Apple Red on my car.

I only have one picture of Mr. Hayden's 62, not very good, and two of my car. Just want to make sure it is acceptable to do something like this and not offend anyone or get myself in some kind of trouble because of some copyright issues or permissions I am unaware of that need to be had; short story never did anything like this before. It is just a tribute to him and all the old racers from before I was born! I like the look; hate airbags and 20 inch wheels on any old car.

Thanks,

Sean62 SS Chrome reverse.jpgHayden Proffitt 62 Chevy.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sean,
It's opinion (opinion only) that Hayden would be fine with you doing a tribute paint job on your car. Now, if you like, some of us on here know Hayden personally. Phil is probably closest to him. If Phil isn't will to call Hayden and ask him if he's ok with it I would be happy to do that.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sean,
It's opinion (opinion only) that Hayden would be fine with you doing a tribute paint job on your car. Now, if you like, some of us on here know Hayden personally. Phil is probably closest to him. If Phil isn't will to call Hayden and ask him if he's ok with it I would be happy to do that.
Dick,
I really appreciate that; because I plan to show up at some of these great events I missed. I won't do anything until Mr. Hayden gives his blessing. I think that preservation of the racing history, all the hard work they did is very important; just like Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum at Udvar Hazy in Chantilly, Va. It may not be a real race car, but heck you can't drive a model one! I will wait for yours/Phil's reply.

Thank you all,

Sean

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If it helps; I bought my 1st 1962 Impala in 1981 for $500. Made the money cutting and splitting firewood, cutting grass and working at the Arco Gas Station as a mechanics helper. I was 15. My father, Mr. Jim Bonner and Mr. Woody Wooden (both drag racers and professional mechanics; friends of pops) had me tear down the 327 in it; the right way. They watched and coached me. We dropped it off at Coleman Brothers Machine Shop in Elkridge, MD; just down the street from A1 Fiberglass; made lots of body components back in the 60's 70's and 80's. Then they showed me how to properly assemble it. That was 38 years ago...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sean.....call me. I am sure Hayden would be honored with your project. I will PM you.
You can't believe the number of people who have put Hayden's name or something related to Hayden on their car and didn't pay him a penny but you know they got more money for their project!!!!!
I'm very protective of my friendship of Hayden and want nothing but the best for him.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks guys,

Just want to do something to preserve the people, the history, the cars and the dynamics that really influenced generations following. These kids today need to know the value of America and what American Muscle truly means! I waited along time to obtain my little 1962 SS. Not a "real 409 nom", but it does have a nice 63 409/425 in it! Thanks to all the veteran members here. Figured it is better to ask permission than to beg forgiveness later. Semper Fidelis...Sean

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sean,
Asking permission is the right thing to do.... Although these guys beat these race cars to hell and got rid of them when they were no longer useful, they still own the intellectual rights to the cars that bore their name. ( My opinion only )......It has been my recent experience to see three different drivers / owners tear up and express tremendous gratitude to the folks that recreated or restored a car that they had not seen or driven for 50+ years.... For me, it made the expense, busted knuckles and explanations to my great wife worth it. The legendary 409 and the men that raced them, should be memorialized by those that have the desire to do it, if done the right way.

Sounds to me that you are doing it the right way........D

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the input. I will not go in this direction with my 62', I appreciate the acknowledgement for trying. The correct way to go is to haul out the 63' 409-425; restore the car back to what it was; 62' SS Impala, 327, P/G, factory A/C, P/S, car, anniversary gold. For my father...

Semper Fidelis

Sean