Hayden

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Fred....thanks for the reply!! Tom Jacobson's favorite camshaft was the 990B. He introduced me to John Erson, Sig's son, in the mid 80's. John still had his dad's masters so he reground me some 990B's. Don't know if I have any left!! I know the 1000B was NOT streetable!!!! The headers Tom was selling was for Doug Thorley. I finally met Doug about 4 weeks ago. He still has original set he built for Tom's 62 Biscayne!! Tom's Biscayne, the one he bought from Butch Leal in 1963, is in the NHRA's Museum in Pomona.

Since you knew Tom, Linda passed away about a month ago...very short battle with cancer. Linda was only 63...much too young. She was a real LADY who loved drag racing. She was like a mother to ALOT of us!!

We'll have to get together sometime to talk about Hayden.

Linda gave me a picture that I have on my office wall......Hayden with his fire suit still half way on walking down the drag strip...Tom Jacobson on one side and Les Shockey on the other...Hayden had just won the East-West Funny Car meet at Lions Drag strip in 1965!! Les lives in SE Kansas now...not too far from KC, MO where I live. Drives the Jet Semis!!! Have never been down to meet him.

I have another question for the club members.....another Hayden autographed picture for the first posted correct answer:

Where did Lions Drag Strip get it's name??

Later.

Phil

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
drag strip

I know the answer, but will hang back in fairness to let other members try.

C'mon guys, get nostalgic!

:cool:

I

IgnitionMan

I do, too, being a So.Cal. person. I spent about an hour with Thug Dorley recently. We spoke of the many Doug's headers businesses that have existed over the years, and how ex-wives get them every time, and old cam grinds, engines and lots of nostalgia speed parts stuff.

Sig and Babe Erson were/are 30 year friends of mine. So is Ed Iskendarian. No history between those three, nope, none indeed.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Never been there. But how's this, Property was the sight of an old zoo.... every one likes lions :p

hotshoe

Supporting Member 1
lions dragstrip

because it used to be associated with the lions club public service

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Lions Drag strip

LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

The land that was used for the drag strip was owned by the Lions Club!! Simple as that. Maybe we could start an Optimists Drag Strip or Kiwanas Drag Strip!!!!

Hayden told me this. The local pressure to close down the drag strip because of the noise got to be too great so it was closed. Let me see.....the drag strip had been there forever.....people bought the surrounding ground..built houses...AND then complained because the drag strip was too noisy!!! Is this a great country or what??????? Sometimes...alot of times really....progress sucks!!!! As far as Hayden knows. the Lions Club still ownes the land. It is supposed to be growing up in weeds now. How about a MUSEUM on the site????????

Well TomO, email me your address and I'll mail your picture. Or better yet, just come on up to the shop and pick it up in person!!!! Tell you what hotshoe...since you were only 5 minutes behind TomO, email me your address and I'll send one to you too!!! New member special!!!!!!

Thanks for trying. We are still looking for the meaning of Hayden's number 612.

Phil Reed

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hayden......612

No. It is so far removed from what anyone would think. If we don't get anything close in a couple of days......I'll start dropping clues.

My personal guess with Hayden last week was..............
he could drink a 6 pack in 12 minutes!!!!! He just laughed and said NO WAY!!!!

Thanks for trying!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hayden's shop

If this works right, you will see the 63 we had in 65 at Hayden's shop. If not, the next post might have it. If not it, ??????????? The heck with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pictures

And here at home in 65. Me against the door, Dean LaPole against the fender. Dean later drove the funny car we had. With Hayden's help, we got this car into the 11s in 65 on 7" tires.
Sorry about the pictures look, they have been in my billfold for almost 40 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pics.

Wow Fred, that looks like one of the old polaroids. Remember the one you had to wipe with that stinky applicator?:eek: Man this club is rollin now. How about sharing some of the speed/power secrets that you can do in your own garage without sending the engine off to the machine shop $$$.:deal

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Dyno Dons Memory

Hey Phil

Im sorry to hear Dyno Dons memory is starting to go. Suggest he look into B12 shots and fish oil supplements. Heres a photo of his Vogue Tyre car

Mark

Attachments

• 48879996fmmrnm_ph.jpg
    48879996fmmrnm_ph.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 224

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dyno

This looks like Indy! I was at Indy, thanks to a friend, in 93 at a Super Chevy show. Heard a lot of commotion from the stands, and we ran out to the track to see what it was all about. Dyno and Arnie Beswick were doing burnouts prior to running one off. Watched this, and almost ( notice that almost. Would never admit anything else! ) got tears in my eyes. 62 Bel Aire and a Pontiac. Started looking for a 63 Chevy on Monday! Found one 4 months later, and bought it! Love it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jims409

Originally posted by JIMS409
Here's a question for club members: Why does Phast Phil from Parkville (KS) wear a BBQ apron to some events and never "cooks" anything!

Everyone must understand that Jims409 can not be taken seriously!! I have known him for years and he suffers from delusions....he has been sucking on exhaust pipes since he was 5...and it's really starting to affect his judgement in his later years!!!!!!! He keeps telling everyone that his 63 has a 409 when in fact...I have seen the car...it's a 230 6-cylinder!!!!!!!

Besides...Parkville is in Missouri...not Kansas!!!! Kansas City...home of the Super Bowl bound Chiefs!!!!!

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jims409

Originally posted by Phil Reed
Everyone must understand that Jims409 can not be taken seriously!! I have known him for years and he suffers from delusions....he has been sucking on exhaust pipes since he was 5...and it's really starting to affect his judgement in his later years!!!!!!! He keeps telling everyone that his 63 has a 409 when in fact...I have seen the car...it's a 230 6-cylinder!!!!!!!

Besides...Parkville is in Missouri...not Kansas!!!! Kansas City...home of the Super Bowl bound Chiefs!!!!!

Damn...I've been OUTED! Must pack up my six-banger and GO!!!

Attachments

• burn out ani..gif
    burn out ani..gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 143

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Did the 612 have anything to do with his record label??/
Hayden Proffitt Presents Jim Head And His Del Ray's

Jim Head And His Del Ray's

Early hotrod music LP on Hayden Proffitt's own label. Musically unexciting but sports a hell of a nice cover shot

Attachments

• del ray\'s.jpg
    del ray\'s.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 116