HD Bad Gas Question

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Any idea if seafoam will loosen up the crud in the injectors Don? Would you explain trigger signal to me? FI Is foreign language to me.

Your trigger is going to come from several things depending on what year. However primarily the trigger is going to be from the crank position sensor on the front left hand side of the of the cases by the oil filter. Then the timing will be fine tuned based on inputs depending on the year, like throttle position sensor, manifold absolute pressure, air intake temperature, rpm. None of which should stop it from starting except the crank position sensor. Of course this is assuming pre 06 speed density mapping before 02 sensors went in, but that wont change much. I have not done this stuff in about 14 years so you are making me think about things I forgot. The first thing I would do on any FI bike would be to verify fuel pressure. If it ran fine before it was parked, I would tend to agree with other guys that the injector(s) are clogged. Myself I would pull an injector and cycle it under pressure to verify the clog. I personally have a scanner that would do that, however you can simply pull the injectors, one at a time, have them hooked up, put them in a coffee can and turn on the ignition, wait the 3 seconds for the fuel pump to prime, then crank it over and see if it squirts fuel. Let us know, and stop making me think :doh

wristpin

Well Known Member
Beyond fuel filter, testing fuel pump, pulling injectors and testing them with a 9v battery, that FI requires computer diagnostics unless you want to buy parts and hope they work. Might have to bite the bullet and take it into HD dealer.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you have a buddy that's a professional mechanic,see if he has a NOID light set that you can borrow.Disconnect the injector connection,plug in the light,spin the motor.If it flashes when the engine is cranking,it's either a bad injector or said injector isn't getting fuel.No flash,it's Harley dealer time.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Was a hole rubbed on side of the tube Dave? It was very common in the early 2ks, they made the hoses a bit too long. If the tank wasn't full you could put your ear up to the tank or open the cap and turn the ignition on to let it prime and you would hear the squirting. Easy diagnosis by checking the fuel pressure if you had a fuel pressure gauge :D Sorry we live so far apart, I could have lent you mine. At least I don't have to go into the garage and see if I still have those Noid lights. No telling where those things are at anymore. :wacko Glad you found the issue. Also keep in mind when you replace that hose, perfect time to change the filter, and more important when tightening the small screws that go around the plate on the tank, they torque at 15 - 20 INCH pounds. They will snap easily so go easy or get a few extra at the shop when you pick up the parts.

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The reason I never went with fuel injection on any of my bikes was I could never calculate how tall a pole I needed to install with a tank on it, and how to support it, that would allow enough pressure to build through gravity to maintain the proper fuel pressure to run the system. Therefore I just used a carburetor because I am a functional illiterate that cannot maintain complex electrical and fuel injected engines :dunno

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used a pressurized can on a hook similar to how you clean injectors on a car. Dave happy to help. Parts have been ordered. Didn’t have pump but had everything else. Might be a couple days.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jeff, didn't you ever run an electric pump to your carburetor?

No I have not on any older vehicles. If the manufacturer of the engine intended for anything else they would not have cast a pad for a mechanical fuel pump. If I did, it would just be a temporary install to get me to a place where I could replace the mechanical fuel pump. :D Just my opinion, however just like older cars, Harley's should have carburetors. And besides, it would look really stupid with such a tall pole mounted on the bike with a tank on top of it. :dunno A carb really seems so much more convenient than that. :good

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ah ha.... when I put an aftermarket 96" stroker in my 95 Road King, rumor was the pingle gas valve was the tits for gas flow. The stock valve supposedly didn't have enough flow. Put it on the dyno and disproved that rumor. Did the same with single and dual fire coils. Dyno said that was a rumour also.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
Ah ha.... when I put an aftermarket 96" stroker in my 95 Road King, rumor was the pingle gas valve was the tits for gas flow. The stock valve supposedly didn't have enough flow. Put it on the dyno and disproved that rumor. Did the same with single and dual fire coils. Dyno said that was a rumour also.
Dual plugs only needed with raised dome high compression. With shovelhead its 10:1 or higher. I ran shovel pistons in my evo with bathtub combustion chamber and it wouldnt keep running without dual plugs both firing. Stock petcock worked just fine with both engines.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dual plugs only needed with raised dome high compression. With shovelhead its 10:1 or higher. I ran shovel pistons in my evo with bathtub combustion chamber and it wouldnt keep running without dual plugs both firing. Stock petcock worked just fine with both engines.

It's funny when you think about it. We put in a piston with a huge dome that basically kills flame propagation and we wonder why we need dual plugs. If nothing else, they looked cool and there was something to talk about drinking beer. :crazy

Last edited: