Head Gasket Difference

Don 409

Well Known Member
Is there any difference between the passenger block and truck block head gaskets? After I laid them on my passenger block it looks like I need different ones. The gaskets I got in my kit looks that they would be for a truck block that has the cut outs.
Thanks, Don

427John

Well Known Member
Does the 348 use the same gasket as the 409?I know engines in the same family usually do but this example does have a fairly extreme bore size difference.

Don 409

Well Known Member
Thanks, I also just notice that there are three 1 inch holes in the block but the head gasket only has 3/16" holes that covers them. Is this also correct?
Don

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Does the 348 use the same gasket as the 409?I know engines in the same family usually do but this example does have a fairly extreme bore size difference.

One thing I had happen back in the late 60's, I need a pair of the 409 steel shim gaskets. The dealer was out, but he had 348 gaskets. So, I am thinking that should work and took them home. I needed to get the car back together for a race the coming weekend. The 348 gaskets protruded into the bore just slightly. I thought maybe that would work?? No, that did not work. That protruding edge evidently got red hot and caused detonation. Are they even made anymore? 409 gaskets should work for both??

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Cometic makes 348 bore specific head gaskets.Those are the only ones that I'm aware of.The more common 409 gaskets are fine on a 348.