Head Gasket Leaks

july2849

Well Known Member
I've got a freshly built 348 that I used Edlebrock 409 heads head on. I used the recommended Edlebrock Head Gaskets which come direct from Edlebrock. On both heads near the 7-5 pistons and 6-8 I've developed small annoying leaks. I took great pains to seal all the bolts and torque the heads to spec. Engine has about an hours run time,
cools fine and plenty oil pressure. Any ideas before I tear it down. I did not uses any sealant on the heads or gaskets and I am wary of liquid sealants. My plan was to get the engine up to temp-pull the tappet covers then re-torque the bolts.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got a freshly built 348 that I used Edlebrock 409 heads head on. I used the recommended Edlebrock Head Gaskets which come direct from Edlebrock. On both heads near the 7-5 pistons and 6-8 I've developed small annoying leaks. I took great pains to seal all the bolts and torque the heads to spec. Engine has about an hours run time,
cools fine and plenty oil pressure. Any ideas before I tear it down. I did not uses any sealant on the heads or gaskets and I am wary of liquid sealants. My plan was to get the engine up to temp-pull the tappet covers then re-torque the bolts.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Did you seal the exhaust manifold bolts.? It might be those seeping?There are several discussions of that problem on this site.