Head waters :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Refresh my memory -- which locations on the "W" head is one likely to confront water passages (non "blind holes")??? Can you guess what I found when I went to do the final set on the valves?

In know this has been covered before, I think it was JimK who listed the exact bolt locations on the head. Couldn't find it with a simple search (could be me...).

My three leaks are all within the valve cover areas, both sides. Need to check them all to be certain. Thinking about pulling each one out (one at a time), cleaning, applying sealer, then re-torquing to ARP specs. Might just do 'em all. Recommendations on sealer to use would be good as well. We did seal them the fist time, I swear on the "W" bible :).

Best,
TomK

Attachments

• Head waters.jpg
    Head waters.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom,I did all my head bolts with permatex.I used a cooling system pressure check to locate my leaking head bolts.Also I used screw in rocker studs and I had leaks were the pin holes where the 3/8 rocker studs were pinned,so use permatex on them also

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
sealant

I used the G.M. brown sealant which is similar to the Permatex. We called the brown G.M. stuff camel snot! Knock on wood mine don't leak.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
ARP advise

We called the folks at ARP (who supplied the head bolts) and asked them what to do. They recommended some sort of "teflon" sealer from Permatext that works with their torque specs. Hope it seals the H20 as well :) :) :). We' were told to get the engine to operating temps, pull each bolt one-by-one, and seal each one as we go along.

Plans are to advance the project to 98% tomorrow night, including sealing the bolts, adjusting the valves and carbs, and testing the final product :). Did all the undercarriage tightening the other night...

Cheers!
TomK

Well Known Member
head leaks

I had ex. holes leak.They went into water jacket,real bummer with my headers!! I used a grey thread sealer 3M I think.Came in grey 2-3oz tubes.Never had a problem again,good stuff!! It is Fel Pro product.

bobs409

Administrator
I had that too 5509. Was changing my oil one day and looked up to see green antifreeze drips and it scared the !@#! out of me! :eek: Thought the worst at first but it was only from a header bolt. Whew! ;)

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tom, I'm going to be placing my heads on the block in the next couple of days. Please post the Permatex # with the teflon sealer, plus the head bolt torque lbs that ARP recommends with that sealer.

Thank you, Ray

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
the teflon thread sealer I used is an ARP product that I ordered through my local speed shop.
Tim

Well Known Member
correction on bolt sealer

Fel Pro "grey bolt sealer"is the best I've used.Never had a leak.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have been using the Permatex # 2 non hardenig for years without a probem, never a leak. Torque to stock specs.