Header help

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, looking at buying these headers. Haven’t seen them in person as they are far from me. They look like most Stahl headers I’ve seen, except for he way they split. On most Stahl the number 7 tube comes out, but these appear to have 3 and 5 tube remove. Not sure how you would install them as the remaining 1 and 7 tube are inside and outside frame rail respectively. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Attachments

• E1240529-700B-4748-9241-921CD05E43E8.jpeg
    E1240529-700B-4748-9241-921CD05E43E8.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 71

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi everyone, looking at buying these headers. Haven’t seen them in person as they are far from me. They look like most Stahl headers I’ve seen, except for he way they split. On most Stahl the number 7 tube comes out, but these appear to have 3 and 5 tube remove. Not sure how you would install them as the remaining 1 and 7 tube are inside and outside frame rail respectively. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
Those are Not Stahls

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
They kind of look like my old 70s version Hookers. The two center tubes wrapped under the frame and collector went straight back like that. The rear tube either had to have the fenderwell cut or "heavily massaged" Some pictures here somewhere of them. I'll try and dig some out later. Had me in the low 12s @ 108 back in '72.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Thanks for the replies. The tube bends look similar to Stahl, but other parts look very different. I have some modern Hookers currently, and they look very different. I am shopping for big tube headers, I like the look of the Wilson headers, but where their collectors come out may interfere with where my roll cage ties to the frame in front. My have to take the big $ bite with some new ACP (Stahl) ones.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
True. I wonder what limits first? The 1-7/8 primary tubes, or the 3” collectors. It’s easy to cut off the 3”, then weld on a 3-1/2” collector. I’m looking at going over 500 inches and was told my 474 was starting to push the limits of the headers I had. I am by no means a header expert.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
2” primary with 3-1/2” collector is what I was thinking. The good news for somebody is I’d most likely have a used set of Hooker headers for sale!

tenxal

Well Known Member
They look like a set of Hedman's I had....#1 and #7 were together like that. Good working headers.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the info. Still wondering how these install. Usually the tube that goes outside the frame is the removable one. Seems you'd have to pull the inner fender to snake this in there.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the info. Still wondering how these install. Usually the tube that goes outside the frame is the removable one. Seems you'd have to pull the inner fender to snake this in there.

I cut #7 and made it a slip fit. Went on easily without much inner fender trimming, then.