Headers for 348 in a 57 Chevy 2dr. post

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
oil pans

I shortened the lentgh of my 348 pan 1 1/2". I didn't think to take in to account the fact that the center steering link moves backwards when you turn the wheel either way so it hit the pan. :doh Because the engine was completly installed at the time, I used a block of wood and a hammer to dent the pan enough to clear. :evil Later I did a pan for a friends' stroker 348. I shortened his 2" then added 2" to the depth of the sump for more oil capcity. It hasn't been installed yet so I don't know for sure how it fits. Note that I moved my engine 1" forward so the heads would clear the firewall with no dents at all. It would not be hard to fit the engine in the stock location with small dimples in the firewall.
Here are a couple pictures of the last pan I did next to a stock 348 pan. Also, here is a tip on how I checked them for leaks before installing them. After all grinding was done I would fill them with parts cleaner and carefully watch for seepage. I would then mark the pin holes and weld them up, repeating the process until I was sure there was no leaks. You can imagine it takes some time to modify a stock pan. I do enjoy making them look stock, but unfortunately I can't take on anymore work at this time, so if you need to buy one I'd suggest looking into the one vanst used on his convertible. Good luck, and please let me know how the headers turn out! take pictures!:) NUT
http://www.348-409.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=170&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Attachments

• IM000969.JPG
    IM000969.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IM000970.JPG
    IM000970.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 67

truck409

Supporting Member 1
celebrity 348 oil pan

In case anyone is wondering that is my oil pan Aaron so kindly modified for me at great expense in time which I thank him for greatly!(credit given where credit is certainly due.)Currently the pan is with Aubrey in Canada as he is building an engine for me(CPG). Truck 409:clap :bow :bow

Headers and oil pan

Thank you all for the pictures and links on the oil pan. I saved them so I can reference them later. I do like the Stef's pan that does look like a nice one. Any idea on cost and how to contact him? I know I could modify one if necessary, i have the ability. I will try calling Auto City Classic tomorrow. I only live about 30 miles from the and have bought stuff for my 70 El Camino ss396 from them. I will doing most of the work in the spring when it warms up. I am in the parts gathering mode now. I might try to set the motor in this long weekend to see what I will have to do about mounts. The firewall has been relieved hammer relieved already by a previous owner. I would like to straighten it back out. I will see how everything fits first. I will take pics when the headers are fit so other people can see them. I will have to learn how to post pics at that time.
Thank you again,
Brad

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Brad,

I didn't see where you were from!:doh I just drove through Blaine on Monday. We were in Ramsey for Christmas and went through Blaine on our way to a baby shower in Scandia. Small world!:) NUT

small world it is

348nut it is a small world! Thats great that you get down to the area. Do you come down to any shows or swaps. It would be cool to run into each other someplace!
Jim K. thank you for the link to the oil pan. I didn't know that it was a Showcars item. I am originally from about 30 miles from were they are located in New Ulm, Mn. I just recieved the header flanges I purchased from them through ebay. They are a little warped, but usable. I will probably take them to work and straighten them out nice and we have a surface plate to check the flatness too.
Thanks again
Brad

Well Known Member
headers 348

Yes,ive been there!! Had to modify a set that was said to fit.Had off and on many times.On stearing box I shimed box on lower bolt with 1/2 washer,made a difference.Did no harm!Once you built a set of headers you have pride when people ask( who's headers?) Tom

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Brad, I really want to get to back to the fifties this year. I have never been there:cry Other than that I don't have any plans. I do get down there a couple times a year for family stuff usually.

Tom, I put about 1/4" of washers under my box to move it away from the manifolds. Someone on our old site told me about this trick. It was used in an article in Hot Rod on putting a W in a 57 from 1967? Your comment about the headers makes me think of the line in Two Lane Blacktop when Richard Ruth asks James Taylor "build the headers?" and he replies "Yeah". It's neat to fabricate stuff and make it work! :cool: NUT

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
bwild70ss396 said:
I was wondering about the rear dump 3/4 headers. I would think someone would make them for Impala's! I see that the Sanderson headers dump in the center like you mention. I bought the steering box before I bought the motor. I was originally going to put a Ram Jet 350 in the car. But decided to not make it a belly button car! If I find someone to purchase the steering box from me since it is brand new in the box yet I would go to a rack conversion. I see there is kits for that. I can fabricate and weld to since I am a Machinist by trade. Was it Sanderson that used to make cast iron after market manifolds? Were they rear dump? I suppose I could weld up my own set of headers and send them out for coating if worst comes to worst!
Thanks,
Brad

I might be interested in your new steering box, if you will pm me the price. BTW, Maval makes a rack kit (manual or power) just for tri five chevys. I recently installed a Fatmans rack kit in a 56 and wasn't too impressed. The Maval kit has been discussed at length on the modified 55-56-57 forum on www.chevytalk.org
It's pricey, but completely eliminates bumpsteer (which is a problem on most of the homemade kits).

steering box price

Hello Milehighss,
The steering box is from Classic Chevy International. I paid $460 plus shipping for it. What would you offer? I see their rack kit is $850. How much is the Maval kit and where would I buy it? Since I am putting a "W" motor in would I use the big block kits? Any help and your offer would be appriciated.
Brad

JimK,
Thank you for the link to the maval rack. The steering position does look like it would be a pain to hook up. :dunno I keep wondering about staying with the box because it is a bolt on and I am alrady making my on headers and motor and trans mounts already. So I should be able to use the box. I am thinking a custom pan would be about the same $400 dollar price differance as switching to a rack. Unless I find another pan and make my own pan also.
Thanks again,Brad

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Keep the 670

I have my doubts that a stock 348 pan would clear a rack even with those style mounts and the engine in the stock postition:dunno The power boxes (any of them) are not much different than the stock box so you should be able to work around it just as easily or easier than routing a rack steering linkage! As mentioned earlier, shimmimg the lower bolt on the box helps alot! I'm looking at buying a set of Patriot headers and modifying them. now... YOU go first.:D NUT

Attachments

• pte-h8025.jpg
    pte-h8025.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 89382299.jpg
    89382299.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 25287136.jpg
    25287136.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 42
  • tri5.jpg
    tri5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 50

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd also be inclined to try modifying a set of headers rather than building a set from scratch. If you can find a set that's at all close. I think it might also be a cheaper way to go.

my own header fab

I have bought a set of used hooker headers for a 57 chevy and 409 flanges, I also bought another set of used 1 5/8 chevy headers to use for building and to splice where needed. I will have about $155 dollars in parts, plus whatever in labor. I will try shimming the box over if needed. After thinking about the rack I think it will be more work too. I plan on sending them out for coating after firing the motor. and making sure there is no fitment issues with the clutch linkage also.
It will be next spring when it warms up here before I work on them. I will post pics when I complete them for people to see.
Thanks,
Brad