Headlight Switch Problem

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just installed a new headlight switch on my 63 impala SS and hooked up the wiring. Now my dash lights stay on with the switch pushed all the way in. I have taken the stem out and reseated it and still the same problem. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks
Ed

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you possibly still have a old one that work's yet to reinstall to verify new one is bad ?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:dunnoI guess Im getting too old to remember but I was thinking you twist the knob to dim or brighten the cluster lights and turn it all the way to the detent for the dome light. I know some switches on some cars worked like that.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
:dunnoI guess Im getting too old to remember but I was thinking you twist the knob to dim or brighten the cluster lights and turn it all the way to the detent for the dome light. I know some switches on some cars worked like that.
You are right in a way, but the switch has to be pulled to park light's or headlamp position before you can turn and dim the dash light's .The dome light can be turned on by turning knob counterclockwise wise fully to end and that will work with switch pushed in ,park light ,and headlight position.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I am in a total quandary. I tried the old headlight switch and have the same problem as with the new switch. As soon as I plug it in the dash lights come on. I believe the stem is in correctly as I have two notches when I pull it out. It seems light the stem is not going in far enough. Anybody have any more ideas that I can check out. It seems like the stem when pushed in just doesn't cancel the power. Does the stem when pushed in seat clear against the bezel and nut?

Thanks ahead of time
Ed

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Does the dash light wiring plug in separate to the switch or is it made in the plug?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Ed: Does your Headlight Switch, have a little button on it, with a little spring? If it does, you need to push the button down, while inserting the knob/ shaft.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It does have the little button on the bottom that I used to take the stem out. Will try pushing it when I put the stem in.

Thanks

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
One other possibility is that the reproduction light switch and the old one are not working.
I do not trust repro parts. I replaced a 1963 Impala two speed wiper switch with a original 2 speed switch after the reproduction 2spd switch fell apart ( the wire clips fell off.). I also have/had a repro floor dimmer switch. It would fit the factory floor mount- I am returning it to the e-bay seller (he claimed it was NOS - A/C Delco - it was made in China). We are using original dimmer switches that a friend cleaned the points. Because of these experiences and a number of other repro part problems in the recent past - we did the following for our light switches:

I used a NOS original light switch on my 62 Impala convertible and a nice used original light switch on my friends 62 Impala convertible ( from my stock of 12 + originals).
I think repro parts are getting worse ( after 10 + restorations over the years). If the parts don't work I return them, and get a replacement, or use NOS parts or good used parts...
Sorry for the rant on repro parts but suppliers need to sell quality parts, not junk.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just looked up a switch at napa and it show''s a echlin brand for $23.00 .This is a well known brand of electrical part''s .These I would think are not junk or napa would not be in business very long.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Those are american made and in automotive part's since 1919. I don't work for Napa just saying there are junk repro's out there. I have bought electrical component's from them ,never had any problem's.