Headlight Switch Problem

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just found 257 bulbs from NAPA for dash brake lights (a flashing bulb). Also got correct 409 American made motor mounts from them, and nice quality master cylinder rebuilt kits for my screw top original master cylinders. They are one of the better suppliers.
Paul

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I am not as familiar with 63s but still worth checking out. On 58s there are 2 different length knob and stems as well as the barrel nut that holds the switch to the dash. I'm relatively sure the SWITCH is the same but I know the knob and stems and barrel nuts are different.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I appreciate all the replies. I put my stem back into the old headlight switch and it still sticks out 3/8 to a 1/2 inch. Are there two different stem lengths for the 63?
When I hook the switch up to the wiring the dash lights and heater lights come on dimly and the parking lights are not on like it should be.
When I pull the switch to the stem to the parking light position the parking lights are on and the dash lights get alot brighter.

Seems like some stray voltage from some where. Anybody know where to start looking or what may be causing this?

Thanks
Ed

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Both old and new switch do that?????check fuse panel and see if any wires are connected to the dash light fuse .if there are like other light to work with dash light like a tach or aftermarket gauge that are connected to that fuse.If there are disconnect and see what it does.

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
With the park lights on dime I would be looking for some stay voltage.
Look at any wiring that does not look stock (like a radio) and start there.
Have you been doing some wiring?