headlights not working?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They were working just fine. Went to take the car out friday night to the local cruise in and the headlights aren't working....parking lights work, brights work (all 4). I'm thinking it might be the switch in the dash?? Anyone else have this happen to them? I unplugged all the lamps and wiggled the wires to see if that did anything with no luck. Like I said, the brights (high beams) come on fine and illuminate all 4. Tail lamps work fine also when the knob is pulled all the way out to turn on the headlights...

any thoughts?

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check the connector at the firewall for the main harness. I had a similar problem with the starter wire. took me hours to figure it out. wiggled the connector and it fired right up.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK! I will check that! I didn't wiggle those at all, only the ones at the headlight itself. Good tip! :cheers

bobs409

Administrator
The dimmer switch on the floor can act up too. Check the wires for corrosion and work the switch a few times, that sometimes fixes them. Could be corrosion inside too.

Bob

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The dimmer switch on the floor can act up too. Check the wires for corrosion and work the switch a few times, that sometimes fixes them. Could be corrosion inside too.

Bob

even if it turns the high beams on everytime without problem?:dunno

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jason: My 64 barely gets driven. Everytime I DO go and use it, I find a gremlin. I turned my headlights on last week, and guess what. They didn't come on. I gave my driver's side headlight a rap, and they came right on. In may case it's probably corrosion on the connectors or a bad ground. Like Brian, Bob and Ronnie mentioned, firewall plug, dimmer switch, and ground wires are the usual culprits. Skip:)

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check the connector at the firewall for the main harness. I had a similar problem with the starter wire. took me hours to figure it out. wiggled the connector and it fired right up.

Brian wins the prize.....wiggled the connector and on came the lights! Good tip Brian!:brow

jas63ss

Supporting Member 1
Hi, I ran across the exact same thing last summer on my son's '71 Chevelle.
We found the low beams burned out on both headlights. We replaced the headlights and several weeks later the same thing happened. We blamed the cause on a voltage sag or spike. He replaced the headlights with a different brand and it never happened again??

Jimmy