Headlights

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 1961 Impala...headlites not very bright.Is there any headlights available that can be used without changing / modifying the wiring ? Are any of the halogen bulbs that use factory wiring? Thank you!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I am able to use high beam halogen and T-3s on low beam. If you use all halogen, you head light switch will not carry the load and light will blink on and off.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
On these old cars,if you're going to use Halogen bulbs,run the power from the switch to a relay.Take power from the battery to the headlights through that relay to handle the extra current the more modern bulbs require.It is neither hard,nor is it expensive to do.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
H4 is still 55/60 watts. Why would it draw more power? It's brighter because the filament is different and it's filled with gas.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I have the same, Wagner headlights on my 64.:clap I bought them, back in the 90's, when I was a member, of the original LGC Assoc. These headlights are definitely, a step up, from regular sealed beams.:appl

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have used halogen headlights for years in my previous and current 63's. Never had a problem and no special wiring or relays. The lights are brighter than my 2010 Focus. Maybe I've just been lucky?:dunno

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the post PVS 409. I need to change mine also. I really wanted to keep the T3 originals, however if I can get something that looks close and has better lighting, I guess it would be better than wrecking. I have just been avoiding driving at night unless I absolutely have too. And yes I checked for voltage drop etc.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
H4 is still 55/60 watts. Why would it draw more power? It's brighter because the filament is different and it's filled with gas.
The cut glass lens in the H4's are much better for spreading the light than a sealed beam headlight bulb.