Heads

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Since I bought my 348 several years ago and turned it into a 434, I've been meaning to look at the heads that came with it. The motor is suppose to be from a '61 Impala. Finally, today I took a peek. I saw that the heads were manufactured in 1960 and the last 3 numbers are "379". From what I recall reading in some previous threads, these aren't so great, are they?? Not sure what I am going to do with them. Thanks, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They're "ok" Carmine,but remember that when the factory went above 315 hp,they went with better heads.The 379's can be fitted with bigger valves,but the area under the valves is limited,and can't be opened up to the size of the 333,and 817[possibly 1147's as well].I think that they might be ok for a stock stroke 348,or a mild 380 up to about 375-380 hp,but you have to carefully limit the amount of work done on the bowls.They're thin,and crack easily.On anything bigger,they'd be a "Choke".

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Don. I figured as much. Not too disappointed. Thought some day, I would get together my scrap cast iron and take it to the junk yard. Get enough for a happy hour or two LOL, Carmine.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Last year when I took a lot of Aluminum, steel was $100/ton. I hope you have far more than just the heads. However, at that rate, they feel like they'd get about $20.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with Lonnie,you can get 175-200 dollars for them on Ebay.Now that would pay for a few happy hours!

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some things have no value to some people so that's why I try to keep a list of what's what and the values just in case! Never no when your times up.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nice job with that mailbox Tom. Thanks for all the responses everyone. Guess I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. From reading these replies, it seem that scrapping them would be sinful. But even if they were very reasonably priced, shipping would be a killer. They weigh I think about 35 lbs. each. Local pickup only; I don't think so. I bet I'm the only one in my tri county area, that has a 409 and/or "W" engine parts. So, for time being, guess I'll keep moving them out of the way, Carmine.