Heat for the shop?

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looking to heat my shop 30x30 not looking to go crazy “since I sweat in the winter” :laugh4 I wanted see what you guys are using? was thinking of going electric but I’m going to be doing a lot of painting this winter kinda of worried about arching don’t need any fires lol

Attachments

• EB62E864-D7E4-4184-A442-56BAB6F65723.jpeg
    EB62E864-D7E4-4184-A442-56BAB6F65723.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You have all kind of arching in your garage, if you run any motor (a drill, grinder or air compressor) you have arching. A electric heater is safe as long as it is wired correctly with all contactors and splices concealed in the proper UL listed enclosures, something as simple as a light switch creates arching.

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I heat my garage (720 sq. ft.) with a Comfort Zone 7500w electric heater with a remote control to turn it on and off and set the temperature. My garage is well insulated and that heater will run you out of there, by the way the remote is the best thing about it as you don't have to fight your way to a wall thermostat. I got it at Farm and Home for I think about $125 ish.IMG_6129.JPGIMG_6130.JPGIMG_6131.JPG

No I don't keep my garage at 72 degrees that is the current temperature in the garage but I do keep it at 65, I don't like dampness around my babies. Lol

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just curious how big of a difference on the electric bill? Do you do any painting in there?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No painting, I think my electric for the garage adds about 30-50 bucks a month depending on how cold it is outside. My garage is attached to my house so it heats easily.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The key is, no matter what you have to heat with the garage is sealed and well insulated. I have used two little 1500w space heaters for the first 2 years here but my garage gets used even more now so I have a 80,000btu gas unit for over kill instant heat. The better the seal and insulation the better any heater will work.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The Rheem unit cools my 30X35' shop well. It would also probably heat it but I have this lp gas unit for that. Iowa weather. View attachment 87750View attachment 87751
May I ask, what does that Mini Split do for your electric bill? I have a large window unit in my shop that is getting some age on it and thinking about replacing it with a. Mini Split

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Heated shop? What's that for?

Keeping a Happy Wife.....:good

May I ask, what does that Mini Split do for your electric bill? I have a large window unit in my shop that is getting some age on it and thinking about replacing it with a. Mini Split

I don't have a clue Robert. I recall one of the bills this summer was $167 for the house and shop. I don't have separate meters. I have 6" sidewalls with spray insulation so it heats and cools fairly easy. Once it gets hot out I leave the air on all the time. Sorry I can't help much. I was thinking about starting a Go Fund Me Page here so I can turn the heat up in the winter.:pray

Just opened last months bill...$134

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Before I retired I installed quite a few of the mini-splits, I'm not sure on how much they save but I do know they are VERY efficient. They are a little difficult to install as they are so compact sometimes its hard to get your hands in the inside wall unit to make it up. The fan motor and the compressor ramp up and down in speed depending on what the requirements are at any given time, and they are super quit. They are fairly inexpensive and easy to install as there is no duct work, just refrigerant lines and a power cable (supplied with unit). The AC power from the building is ran to the outside unit and the supplied cable is ran from the outside unit to the inside wall unit, the inside unit gets its power from the outside unit and is DC power. The outside unit comes pre-charged with freon so all you need to do is install the refrigerent line set, pull a vacuum and open the valves releasing the freon. If I were to air condition my garage I would defiantly install one of these units.

Last edited: