Heater Core replacement 59 el Camino

b a king

Its a 59 elCamino with factory air, 348. I have the inside box removed but the core still will not move. What am i missing. I have assembly manual, i still haven't found anything relevant to it. Am i missing some bolts/screws. I appreciate any help.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If the A/C is like/or similar 61 and 62 factory air which I am guess it is the heater core black painted box is held to the firewall with studs through the firewall into the engine compartment.
Normally the 2 ends of the heater core are clamped to the back side of the "heater core cover" with small hex screws.

Do you have a factory assembly manual -if not you need it......there could be pictures in this manual
like this one...
https://www.classicchevy.com/el-camino-factory-assembly-manual-1959-55-191702-1.html

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Sorry I see you have the assembly manual
post pictures of both ends of the core under the dash....

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
does your heater core look like this mounted in the car -the clamps on both ends of the heater core
The core and the other 1/2 of the box has to be removed to get the heater core out.

are not installed in the first picture the under hood pictures show the blower box that bolts to the studs on the
heater box - note the 6 silver studs in the 2nd picture through the firewall

also do you have a new core ?- its very hard to find the right size A/C core - I had the ends on my factory original factory air core removed
and put onto a new core that is the same length and width...

Attachments

• 62 air info.jpg
    62 air info.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 62 air info -2.jpg
    62 air info -2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 62 air info-4(Oct 01).jpg
    62 air info-4(Oct 01).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 31

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Look at my 2nd picture ( 6 zinc plated studs ) - the middle stud on the top is inside the blower box. the other 5 are accessible without removing the firewall blower box. If that nut was not installed inside the box you could get to the other 5 off and the heater core could be removed from under the dash without removing the firewall blower box.
I leave that middle top nut off when installing my A/C systems when installing a new heater Core.

the top 3 hex bolts on the blower box screw to the firewall - you can see the 3 firewall holes in my picture.
mark your cables, be careful to not break the plastic connector between the blower box to the evaporator under the fender. There is probably a rain water deflector under the cowl grill that is bolted to the firewall with 2 of the top bolts on the blower box - that deflector needs to be reattached when reinstalling the blower box.
if you need help you can call me - it’s not a easy job.....to change the A/C heater core...

I assume your core is leaking? What size is the core? ( measure it)
The regular parts stores “do not carry the right size A/C heater core and with the correct ends with the A/C only...tubes”

Paul

b a king

Yes sir it is leaking. I'm going to see if local radiator shop can repair it.
I see you have a 57 you have owned for 50 years. I have a 56 2dht ive owned since 1973. My brother has a57 210 he bought 65.
I'll be 64 next week aint as easy to climb around on these things as id used to be!!
Many thanks for your time i'll keep you posted.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That’s what I did with my factory air heater cores at my radiator shop.
they ended up installing a new core - they ordered the right size core without ends and switched the ends from the
original heater core so it will fit.

yes I had my 57 since 1965. 283/270 HP 2-4’s. I just rebuilt the original 283 motor from 1965

b a king

GOT THE CORE OUT TODAY. I took some stuff loose that i prolly didnt have to but its out. It has harrison core number 3142034. .From what i have read this is original core. Would you recommend have shop find right length core and put the ends on? This is not a job i look forward to tackling again. Although i.m pretty sure it would go easier next time. Many thanks for help.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes that is exactly what I had done, they found a core that fit and switched the used ends.
I might have the box from the core they bought..

you can find the new 61/62 Factory a/c core with the correct ends - but they cost $285 to with the correct ends (Old Air Products).
Another issue is that the factory air control valve on the end of core can leak. It should be a Harrison valve ( a quality valve ).
you can get the originals rebuilt by Old Air Products in Texas - I had mine rebuilt just to make sure I will have no leaks - as you know it’s too much work to remove the core & the valve..

Paul

heddrik

Well Known Member
I tried to find one of those for my 62 SS back in the late 80's, no one carried it any more. cool