Heater/Water valve?

Gus68

Well Known Member
In the process of replacing the heater core in my 62 and noticed that the little valve for the heater hoses on top of the heater box is froze up (in the open position). I was wondering what the heck is it needed for? My 68 chevelle doesn't have one and a lot of cars don't have one, sooooo.... what's the point of it? Why couldn't I just get rid of it? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
To shut off the water supply flowing through the heater core thus keeping the heat out of the car.

Jeff Hagen

Supporting Member 1
Im sure you could take it out my 63 didnt have anything like that. If I understand it just lets hot coolant to the heater core.

Gus68

Well Known Member
To shut off the water supply flowing through the heater core thus keeping the heat out of the car.
So then why doesn't my chevelle have one? I understand that the heated water will flow threw the heater core, but if I have the heat off, little door in the heater box closed, and the fan off, how is that gonna heat the car?

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Don't know if hot air will flow in to the passenger area or not. BUT, They're easy to fix. Every time I see one at a salvage yard I pick it up for pennies because it's stuck. Bring it home and un-stick it and take them to flea markets. Show cars sell 'em for $99 You can fix it for about 50 cents, just fix it.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
So then why doesn't my chevelle have one? I understand that the heated water will flow threw the heater core, but if I have the heat off, little door in the heater box closed, and the fan off, how is that gonna heat the car?
Sometimes the seals on the doors leak and hot air will get by. Even if the fan is off, there is air from the cowl that will be trying to go through the heater. Just having a heater core with 180 degree water will put a little heat in the car. On my grain trucks, I put manual shut offs in the heater hose line to keep a little more heat out of the cab.

Gus68

Well Known Member
OK. So this afternoon I sprayed it up with some juice and started working it until I got it to free up. Seems to work, I blew in it and moved the arm and it closed off. So now after all that, what are the chances it's gonna leak? What seals that little shaft? and is it gonna be any good after it was froze up and now I got it moving again? You guys have good luck with that????

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The valve controls how much water flows through the heater core. On later models and Chevelles they control the flow of air so the heater core flows all the time but the air doesn't get into the car without opening the door with the control. If you like it warm in the car leave the valve off.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK. So this afternoon I sprayed it up with some juice and started working it until I got it to free up. Seems to work, I blew in it and moved the arm and it closed off. So now after all that, what are the chances it's gonna leak? What seals that little shaft? and is it gonna be any good after it was froze up and now I got it moving again? You guys have good luck with that????
All you have to do is presure test it an you will know right away if leaks. I have fixed dozens with secsess.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What is the "juice" that you used??????

Gus68

Well Known Member
Penetro 90 (I think that's how you spell it) I get it at NAPA. I work as a mechanic and I have seen this stuff do amazing things. just got to let it soak alittle. Guy I work with has an old model A he has been messin with. The motor has been seized for god knows how long, he filled the cylinders with this juice and later that afternoon he got it free!