HEI dist. help

Impala Lover

Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone!! I have a question pertaining to my 1963 Chevy Imala SS with a 327 cid and a HEI. I went out to start it today, just to let it warm up a bit, and it did not fire and spun over very easy. I checked for fuel, yes there was some there. Its getting air, but it does not have spark. My question is, can the module be the problem?? This is a fairly new part, or is there another culprit?? Thanks for looking!!

bobs409

Administrator
Since you have no spark, I would first make sure there is power getting to your distributor. Should be a full 12 volts. If you have that, the next thing I would try is a new module. That's the one thing I hate about HEI's!!!

Make sure you carry a spare module with you at all times. (and tools to install it) They really don't care where you are when they go. :bang

Other than that it might be a bad coil.

Others might have more but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
bam59
yes, MSD has a "module" but it is different than the HEI unit. The module is usually the weak link in that type of system but some are better then others. It's just frustrating when one goes out. I will let ignitionman explain the different details if he will comment because he is the best here

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can't count the number of friends I have had to rescue because their module took a s**t. I recommend always carrying a spare...:takethat :cool: Dan

bobs409

Administrator
I can't count the number of friends I have had to rescue because their module took a s**t. I recommend always carrying a spare...:takethat :cool: Dan

I believe that.

When I worked for a local garage, we had an extra GM module laying on the dashboard of the wrecker at all times for just that purpose. :)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Why use the module?

Pull the module and just use the magnetic trigger with a MSD 6 box. Regular old 6 box is pretty cheap these days and produce a great spark.