HEI distributor install

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi, I'm doing an HEI install on a 58 Impala with a 348 motor, did you eliminate the ballast? where do I install the tach lead on the HEI pigtail since I don't have a tachometer?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I always do away with the ballast, but I don't think it needs it. The tach lead is on the stalk with the plug in with the regular connection on the distributor.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you don't have a tach, the wire on the plug at the distributor tach output could be eliminated or capped off.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
GM produced millions of cars and trucks that had HEI ignitions and no tach.Nothing was plugged into the tach slot,nor needed to be.If you do decide to install one at a later date,the provisions are there.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:yup sorry, memory lapse. Just unplug the connector. Or, if you leave the connector in place(so you don't loose it:D), shrink tubing would work well to cap the wire end.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
So, remove the dark green wire coming from the ballast resistor to starter solenoid; remove green wire from coil to solenoid; what about the tan wire that goes to the ballast resistor? Where would I attach that?

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
American auto wire makes a nice factory plug & play harness with all the factory connections. Did one on my 63 bel air you couldn’t ask for it to be any easier.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
You need 12v to the HEI when the key is in both the crank and run position. I could be wrong but I do not believe any of the terminals on the fuse box have 12v WHILE cranking. You will need to run a wire from the HEI directly to the BAT terminal on the ignition switch. be sure to use a grommet where your wire passes through the firewall.