Hei Distributor on a 348 motor

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would take a look at the module in the hei. The modules do not like heat and can do weird things without quitting completely. There should be this sort of thermal goop between the module and the distributor body that helps move heat away from the module.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
you can probably get a MSD6 for the cost of the GM part. Let the box do all the work and get a better spark in the process. The box will replace the module. Been running my same MSD6A for 15 years.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Quick questions if I change the spring do you guy recommend to change the rod also and the step up rod there two kits with the spring or should I just do the springs

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It is some trial and error on changing the spring,jets and metering rods.
If you don't have the manual for you carb you should get one. It will explain how to tune it.
I may have another copy if you can't find one.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The reason i ask it's just the kit for the step springs come two kits one just the spring and the other come with the rod and jet but if I don't need them I'll just get the spring I just thought you had to change them as well thanks for ur fast response

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Having the more expensive "tuning kit"has it's advantages,but I'd buy the spring kit first.If your jetting is close,the spring change is all that you'll need.I strongly advocate the "One change at a time "approach.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
From what I can gather from your posts,your engine is basicly stock so your jetting and metering rods should be close,but maybe just a bit rich.Try the springs first,adjust the total timing to about 33-35 degrees with the vac.advance disconnected.Most of these aftermarket units have a fairly quick curve already which is good.When setting the timing start by getting the engine up to 3,000,adjust to 34,then bring it down to your desired idle speed.This procedure will set both the initial advance as well,so don't worry about the initial.Do hook up the vacuum advance,but while Edelbrock seems to favor hooking the vac.advance up to the ported side,these engines generally like manifold vacuum better.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok my engine is original my transmission is also and its a 2 speed powerglide.i had a holly for carb but I bought a brand new elderbrock 1406 600 cfm for it. The problem I had is I had points for distributor and I change it to hei distributor.but when I start the car everything is fine until I drive it for a while.i would come to red light and then when I go to go it feel really ruff until I punch the gas a little harder.the thing is when I first start it and its cold it runs great it just if I drive it for a while that when it's start.but man I'm glad I found this site great help thank you for the chart I do have the original for my carb And it's the same thanks again for ur help