Hei Distributor on a 348 motor

El Rat

Well Known Member
Generally speaking things that seem like a bargain aren't. Does it seem reasonable to you that a Chinese distributor would be better than a GM distributor? A properly set up GM
Will kick the crap out of any 58 dollar online pos. When all the dyno Dons and Dicky Harrell's of the world where kicking ass and takin names do you think they had offshore electronic parts?

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I don't understand why your asking me this.but everyone puts what make them happy on there car.at the end long as it rides good I'm happy. Have a good day God bless

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Generally speaking things that seem like a bargain aren't. Does it seem reasonable to you that a Chinese distributor would be better than a GM distributor? A properly set up GM
Will kick the crap out of any 58 dollar online pos. When all the dyno Dons and Dicky Harrell's of the world where kicking ass and takin names do you think they had offshore electronic parts?

They weren't bright enough yet to import lower cost items.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just to let everyone know when I change the distributor. Man I'll tell you guys that horse power wise is there it did not feel like this with the other one now I feel that I got a 348 in it now big difference.also I try to buy everything as original as I can but now in these day. It's say original and it was made somewhere else.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What you're feeling is the effects of a better timing curve bringing out the torque at the low-medium rpm band.The extra voltage doesn't hurt anything either.Once you get it dialed in nicely,Get a good plug gapping tool,and open the plug gap to .045-.050. It will make a difference that you can feel in a stock,or nearly stock engine.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello everybody I have a question...with transmission would fit on my 1958 impala 348 engine if I wanted to swap out the 2 speed power glide out...the reason I ask since it's hot out here in Vegas I still feel the power glide struggle... ever since I put the hei distributor.. I change the springs out on the carb and it started to do the same thing it feel like it's too advanced for the transmission please let me know thanks again

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
200R4 is the overdrive transmission that requires the least amount of other modifications, I think they can build these to handle around 450 to 500 HP. It is the same length as the power glide, but will need a modified transmission cross member due to the mount on the transmission being slightly different in location.

700R4 is the one that can handle Hi performance engines. Other options include the TH350 or TH400, but with these you gain a lower first gear and an additional gear between that low gear and the top 1:1 gear, but get no overdrive.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok I see but with the 700r4 and th350 or th400 I wouldn't have to modify the cross member or the drive line...I was thinking of changing out the motor but I want to leave it original is much as I can but this hei changed I feel like it's just going to many rpm for the transmission.. but thank you dead wolf for your fast response i appraciat it thanks again....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You won't have to change the crossmember or drive shaft when going to a th350 from a 'glide.The 400 will require a crossmember,front yoke and a modified front section for the drive shaft.The 200r4 can be modified to handle as much power as the 700r4.I've seen many of them behind stroked Pontiac,Buick,and Olds engines,many of which have a torque rating far exceeding 500 ft.lbs.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok cool.... I would like to keep the powerglide but it just seems to struggle when it get hot.. but I'm gonna try a couple of more things and if it dont work I will swap out the tranny..but thanks for your help

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
From what I'm reading here make me wonder if that trans is suffering with pressures once the fluid gets hot and thins out.