Hei Distributor on a 348 motor

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok cool thank you for your help... I was thinking something was wrong this has been very stressful I paid alot for this car and man I tell I find everything wrong with it like if I bought a lemon but once everything get done right it will be a beauti thanks again for the fast response

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What transmission would be good on a 409 to slap in the 58 without doing any modifications..besides the powerglide

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The easiest swap would be a TH350[bolt in],the strongest,TH400.The 400 will need a cross member and drive shaft mods[shortened],and a different yoke.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don thanks for the info........now paul do you have a picture of the draft tube. I have a elderbrock carb right now the port for the pcv I have it plug and the back I have it hook up to brake booster...

floyd

Well Known Member
Almost sounds like your valve guides are bad?Are they original heads?If they are they will need to be rebuilt.Yes those baffles do need to be tacked in.Most engine shops can do this.If you have to rebuild your heads,you can have them milled down alittle,this will increase your compression,will need to run premium fuel.Hang on get ready to fly!Let me know what you find out.

floyd

Well Known Member
Running a valve cover pcv system will help with your engine issue,not to contaminate your oil.Ever notice sbc,bbc motors in the 1970s to now have a pcv system?

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Milling the heads on a 348/409 application won’t get you more compression being the combustion chamber is in the block not the heads. Unless you have the 333 truck heads then you could get a little more compression by milling those I’m not sure how much you can gain on the 333 heads.

floyd

Well Known Member
Just giving you an idea if you have to rebuild your heads.Never hurts to make sure they are flat.Alot of people buy original 348 409 motors,use unleaded fuel and experience the blow by problem,due to those heads needed lead.Now they have to install harden valve seats.

floyd

Well Known Member
I was given a 1970s sbc 400.Installed a edelbrock cam,I think it was a 2103 in the motor.Ran like a raped ape in my nova,but had a lot of blow by. Had a 350 built to replace it.

floyd

Well Known Member
Im still looking for a complete my6,a833 transmission,bell housing,shifter for my nova.Any one have one?

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone I'm trying to find out what to put in the road draft tube to make a pcv system.the car motor feels strong when I drive it alot of power but my only issue is that when i drive it and it gets hot white smoke comes out of the breather oil cap and the dip stick also there was some oil under the hood like little sprinkles... but the car when I drive it feels strong.i have a 74 impala with a 350 engine and it has pcv system Paul pictured show the way he did it but where it run in the back is what I wanna see so I could do it like that instead of drilling the valve cover.i also found this today when I was looking on line but when I went to the auto store they didn't know what it was..so I'm wondering if Paul has this in the back of where the distributor is at here is a picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190126-220629_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190126-220629_Samsung Internet.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 25

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes that “volcano type” connector is the best to use ( if can find one) with the right size hose and the right clamps for the hose size ( that type of connector was at the other end of the PCV hose- I can’t take a picture since I sold that 62 SS 327 convertible ). That volcano style PCV connector to the engine road draft hole, as best as I can determine was used on some late 50’s and 60’s Chevy’s

AND most important you need the PCV valve ( if you don’t have the PCV valve up by the carb you will suck oil up into the carb) . You can also use a push in rubber plug and a short 90 degree pipe but I like the one you pictured better since it’s bolted to the road draft hole ( like a road draft tube is).
I have the hose sizes and the 2 clamps needed. I bought new ones for my 409.

In order to hook up the power brake, along with the PCV connection to the carb you will need a brass T (like my picture above) and perhaps a reducer to connect to the carb if the T is too large. All threaded connections should have thread sealer or sealer tape.

The small rubber vacuum line for the distributor can be run to the front of the Edelbrock for vacuum( I have a picture of this )
Paul

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul thank you for the information I have the brake line hook up to the back of carb but the front of carb where the pcv is supposed to be hook up its plugged I'm gonna try to find that connector to see if I could put it there..what I was reading on the page I found that picture is that it just bolts on supposedly but I'm gonna take of intake to see if I could get the right size and to see if I dont got to modify anything. But you said there are clamps correct. Also on the for sale form here there a guy selling that three carb set up you could see the hole in there on mine I got to pop out whatever they have in there I forgot the name for it but yea I'm gonna try to go to napa they sale more parts for older cars and to see if they got something similar to that picture I got..

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I sent you a private message on this topic you noted above.
All chevy blocks are drilled for the long bolt for the road draft hole..
Paul