Hei Distributor on a 348 motor

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello I put in a hei distributor on my 1958 impala it has a 348 motor and 2 speed powerglide tranny when I drive it for a while and come to as complet stop and then take off it feel ruff. But when I start the car at first it runs smooth when it not that hot. this started Happening ever since I put a electronic distributor please could some one help I woul really appreciate it

wristpin

Well Known Member
Change advance weight springs and spsrk plug heat range. Your total advance is probably not near where you need it. Others here will know probably exactly what you need.

Last edited:

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys for the reply.when you say step springs .im not understand.is that for the carb right now I have a 600cfm elderbrock carb please let me know thank again for the fast response

wristpin

Well Known Member
Step spring is under the cover with the metering rods. Parts stores sell various tensions in kits of either 8 or 10 (forget which) for about $10. Sounds like youve leaned out due to better spark so replace existing springs with next stronger springs. Then test drive and try the next stronger springs until you know youve gone with to strong then back down one tension.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello but when you say under cover which cover do I look under.and i do have a spacer under the carb also the problem is when I go and start the car while everything is cold it drive great it just when I drive it a lot and it hot.plus I'm out here in lass vegas and its like 115 in heat right now.but I really appreciate all the help you guys give me and I'm glad I found this site again thanks for fast response

wristpin

Well Known Member
When it's first started and driven it runs richer than when hot. As the engine warms it runs leaner. Like Jim said if you have the pamphlet review that. Its not that we're not trying to help, its going to all make sense and help you make your carb run best. If you dont have the pamphlet it will take longer to get the carb set optimally. Those high temps can be causing additional problems. What does your thermostat read? Is it normal or slightly higher? Is your radiator and heater core fully vented of air? Is your fuel line and fuel starting to perculate due to laying against or to close to block or intake?

wristpin

Well Known Member
To recurve your advance get a pack of advance weight springs and put a heavier spring on the driverside advance weight. Then test drive. Like at the optometrist (eye glass place for those in Iowa) is it better or worse. Adjust as needed. Do it with engine hot.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you don't already have one,get a good timing light with the dial back features.If you learn how to use one,your engine can be used as a distr. machine and really speed up the tuning process.Typically these engines like a total timing of 32-35 degrees all in by about 3,000,vac advance disconnected.Now,since you say that this mostly started with the ignition change.Where did you get that HEI from,and who made it.A lot of the lower priced units are made in China,and among other things ,have issues with electronics.As you may know,heat and electronics are not exactly friends.I'd leave the carb alone for now and dial in the ignition.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Screenshot_20170626-175640.png this is what I have for distributor I bought on line but I'm gonna do that on the carb because my timing I did do it with a timing gun and it start on point but the only problem is that when it's hot but I appreciate all the feed back thanks everyone

Last edited:

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone so I'm looking for the springs and I contacted elderbrock and never got a call back but I look online for the springs and they only have for elderbrock 1464 will those springs work on my elderbrock 1406 600 cfm carb I look and that all that come up.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,1464 is the part number for the spring kit for all Performer and Thunder series carbs.

Last edited: