Hei Distributor on a 348 motor

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What's up everyone question what do you guys recommend waste money on swapping out my powerglide transmission to a 350turbo or buy a better transmission for it like a 700r4

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
While swapping to a th350 isn't a waste of money at all,if your car is used on road trips or other long drives,the overdrive transmissions are a better bet.Swapping to the 350 trans is a direct bolt in,the OD units require other parts such as cross members and shorter front sections of the drive shaft to complete the swap.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What's up everyone question what do you guys recommend waste money on swapping out my powerglide transmission to a 350turbo or buy a better transmission for it like a 700r4
I have a 3:08 rear gear and with the powerglide, it was a real dog on take off. I swapped out the powerglide for a 700r4, what an improvement! Nice low gear for launching and overdrive for cruising. I would definitely recommend the swap.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
While swapping to a th350 isn't a waste of money at all,if your car is used on road trips or other long drives,the overdrive transmissions are a better bet.Swapping to the 350 trans is a direct bolt in,the OD units require other parts such as cross members and shorter front sections of the drive shaft to complete the swap.
Don , I have a TH 350 in "JOINT VENTURE" I is just great !!!PictureKodak easy share photos 819.jpg

floyd

Well Known Member
Check your timing,make sure you have a vaccum hose from the carb to the distributor,no suction on port on idle.Use ac delco plugs at factory gap,adjust your air fuel mixture.

floyd

Well Known Member
Id still stay with the older ones.Over here you can have them rebuilt,upgraded for 1000 dollars.

floyd

Well Known Member
Anymore with todays upgrade parts,you can build anything you want.Always helps to have a tranny mechanic to keep the labor cost down.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anymore with todays upgrade parts,you can build anything you want.Always helps to have a tranny mechanic to keep the labor cost down.

And I do, me. However I haven't built any for about 15 or so years and forgot much of what I know. But I do have a transmisson person. And he's family so...........

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It's just my buddy gave me a 350 transmission..and he says it has in upgrade shit kit or something in the gears not 100% sure...but I'm gonna buy a transmission Cooler until the power glide transmission breaks down :D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just keep in mind, until you go to an overdrive trans, the powerglide and th350 are both 1 to 1 in drive. What that means not much changes except another gear, or shift point on the 350. As mentioned the 350 will bolt right in, however it will not change much. There are some slight gearing differences, but not like if you changed over to a 700. And of course cruising down the highway is where you will see another change. If you are happy overall with the powerglide and just have an opportunity to get a trans in better condition, then go for it. If you want a real change, move to a 700r4.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I disagree about there not being any difference in the cars performance between a glide and a 350 trans.Sure they 're both 1-1 in top gear. ,but with the Glide your basicly taking off in second gear[1.76- 1 low ratio] compared to a 350 0[2.52-1 low gear. ] As far as the best to worst units,the 82-mid 84 [27 input spline] are the ones to stay away from.They got major up grades starting with the 85's [30 spline input] and got better every year after that with he best ones being 87 and up .

Last edited: