hello all. thanks for bringing me into the site.

I've been a rodder all my life but new to the "W" motors. I acquired this 348 out of a 59 truck but it's casting numbers say it's a 63-65 and there are no stampings on the deck. It sounds healthy & doesnt smoke so I'm going to give it a "Krylon" rebuild , replace the truck water pump & Intake and put it in my Henry J Gasser. Does anyone have a car water pump & 4bbl intake they might be willing to part with, reasonably? 20180522_122855.jpg

Attachments

• 20180525_141613.jpg
    20180525_141613.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 29

Clint

Well Known Member
I've been a rodder all my life but new to the "W" motors. I acquired this 348 out of a 59 truck but it's casting numbers say it's a 63-65 and there are no stampings on the deck. It sounds healthy & doesnt smoke so I'm going to give it a "Krylon" rebuild , replace the truck water pump & Intake and put it in my Henry J Gasser. Does anyone have a car water pump & 4bbl intake they might be willing to part with, reasonably? View attachment 61871
Your best bet on the water pump is to buy a new one from show cars... Like$120 with no core charge.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome to the site! You will find lots of support herein :).

I've got a cast iron four barrel intake from a 1958-9 passenger car you can have but I really hate shipping stuff. If you know anyone in KC or St. Louis I can get it there for free :).

That truck block is probably either a "962" casting or more likely a "655" casting. Both are good starters for a solid 348 build. I bet it has the ArmaSteel main caps, which is good. I assume you are going with the "333" truck heads?

Cheers!
TomK

I don't plan on running it hard, street cruises mostly. I'm using the "W" mostly because I fell into it & what would be more nostalgic than a 348/409 in a henry j gasser. yes its a 655 casting, it seemed to run pretty good for the short time I had it started before we yanked it out of the truck. yes distributor is another upgrad I'll do in the future but the one in it is working ok for now. Aluminum or iron water pump what are your thoughts?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That truck distributor has a limiter on it, that's why it was recommended you change that out.

As for water pumps, I've used both. The GM cast iron ones are $50 - $100 and you can count on another $50 for a rebuild kit. Aluminum ones can be had from $120 on up and don't need but the gasket and fasteners.

Sounds like you're having fun with your new toys!

TomK

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the site Danny, I see your located in the wonderful (windy) state of Wyoming! I haven't been up there in a while. I looked at a couple of 61 B-tops a few years ago in Casper, one was rolled, had good floors and the other needed floors. I thought I was headed for Thermompolis to pick up a GSP puppy this Spring.....didnt work out. Was planning on stopping in Casper to see if the 61's were still in the pasture. Welcome!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Danny! I have a cast iron 4 barrel intake from my '59 and the original cast iron water pump, also from '59.
If cast iron weren't so heavy, I'd part with them for a reasonable price. But shipping takes the reasonable out pretty quickly.
Not that Denver is close, but if you find yourself planning to be south of Cheyenne, I may be able to meet you some where.

Good luck!