Hello From Vancouver Island...

rich hunter

Thanks for signing me in Bob, I'm presently gathering to build a 409 for my 64 impala... I figured it was time for a big block as I have never owned one and am now sixty,
Question for you guys, is the tremec tcet 4616 a good choice or not? I have one available I can pick up up at a fair price. Do any of you use them? and if so what rearend ratio do you use... thanks Rich

rich hunter

Thank you, will need figure out how to post pictures, I’m more comfortable with a wrench than the Computor. Cheers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome Rich to the site -nice 64 SS, lots off help here.

For your Tremec question : Use off a Tremec transmission requires major tunnel modifications to the tunnel from the firewall to the front of your bucket seats (you have to cut out the entire tunnel and raise it about 2 inches or more -I have some pictures posted by another memb er here) You will probably lose your SS console for the shifter from what I have seen. I also bet you stock carpet will not fit with the tunnel changes.

A Richmond 5 speed or 6 speed is a bolt in to a stock bell housing and zero tunnel modifications. I have a Richmond 5 speed behind my 62 SS 409 convertible. The shifter location for the 5 speed and 6 speed(both overdrive transmissions) will come out close to the factory 4 speed shifter location in a 64 Impala SS.
I have pictures of my 62 SS shifter plate fitting my Richmond 5 speed and my SS console between the bucket seats.
I just purchased a 2nd Richmond 5 speed transmission for my 62 SS 409 hardtop stroker motor 409.
Paul

rich hunter

Welcome Rich to the site -nice 64 SS, lots off help here.

For your Tremec question : Use off a Tremec transmission requires major tunnel modifications to the tunnel from the firewall to the front of your bucket seats (you have to cut out the entire tunnel and raise it about 2 inches or more -I have some pictures posted by another memb er here) You will probably lose your SS console for the shifter from what I have seen. I also bet you stock carpet will not fit with the tunnel changes.

A Richmond 5 speed or 6 speed is a bolt in to a stock bell housing and zero tunnel modifications. I have a Richmond 5 speed behind my 62 SS 409 convertible. The shifter location for the 5 speed and 6 speed(both overdrive transmissions) will come out close to the factory 4 speed shifter location in a 64 Impala SS.
I have pictures of my 62 SS shifter plate fitting my Richmond 5 speed and my SS console between the bucket seats.
I just purchased a 2nd Richmond 5 speed transmission for my 62 SS 409 hardtop stroker motor 409.
Paul

rich hunter

Hi Paul, ok so the Tremec is off the table. In looking at the Richmond that is the one for our cars, however the value of the Canadian dollar is in the toilet for now and it doesn't look to be in the build budget. All parts coming out of the states turn your dollar to $1.40 landed... Thanks for your input sure we will talk again Rich