Help, Question about speedo adapter

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Isn't there a seal that goes inside the speedo adapter on a 57 powerglide?It seals between the plastic speedo gear and the adapter,or am I remembering wrong?I have a leak out of the cable where the nut goes on the adapter.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
HI Andy!
I think that the powerglide uses the same speedo gear as most GM transmissions from that era, except the TH400, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it's like what I think it is there is a steel bullet-shaped housing that the gear fits into. My guess would be that the plastic gear is maybe a little worn. There is an O-ring around the speedo bullet. You can still get the gears from GM. Maybe the iron-glides are different? Best of luck!!!
Ross

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll ck.

I will go to GM tomorrow and see if they have a replacement plastic gear. It does fit loose in the adapter.I still seem to remember a seal that went into the adapter from the outside, but must be thinking of something else.Thanks, Ross.
P.S.Missed you at the hayride.

gbafus

Well Known Member
It's my understanding that the plastic speedo gear in the cast iron 'glide is about 1/2" longer than the one for the TH 350. The TH350 plastic gear will work in the cast 'glide by making up a speedo cable (just the inner part) that is 1/2" longer.

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks

I helped a buddy pull his muncie today and there is a seal that presses in from the outside before the speedo cable goes on. I need to see if they are interchangeable with the one in the p-glide.