Help with a 63 SS

Deanlow

:bang Hello every one.Can any one help please? I have a problem with a 1963 Chev SS that im looking at buying the car is a one family owned car the original owner is no longer with us.The qestion is the car has no Cowl tag Is this a problem ? was this a comon thing? Is there a way of knowing for sure why the Cowl tag is missing? and is there any other way of know if the car is Genuine? If any one can help me with this problem i will Be very greatful.

Regards
Dean

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
VIN tag?

Dean:

Does it still retain the VIN tag located just ahead of the driver's side door?

The VIN depicts the information needed to register the vehicle (here in the States), while the cowl tag offers clues to body style, interior and exterior colors, and various options. Sometimes these pop off their rivets when they get crusty, maybe that happened during a previous restoration?

I'm sure others will share their insights as well.

Good luck!
TomK

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dean,
Are the owners looking in the correct spot? Have 'em open the hood and stand behind the passenger side, front wheel. Then look down at the space below the windshield wipers, that is covered up when the hood is down. The tag is right there, or that's where it should be. There is a rectangular hole stamped into the cowl panel so that the trim tag can be viewed. If there is no tag in that rectangualr "hole" than it's gone for some reason.

The VIN, like Tom said, will only provide basic info. It only tells you the year, the body style, what the final assembly plant was and the sequential number for the car. That's it.

If the trim tag is gone it will take a little more work to prove it is an SS. Proper bucket seat brackets, console, swirled trim inserts. If it is a powerglide car it will have the floor shifter and, as such, will have the wires for the neutral safety switch passing through the firewall, just southwest of the master cylinder. It's a hole about 1 1/8" in diameter and will have a rubber grommet with two wires passing through it. A 4-speed car will have a 1" hole with either a grommet or possibly a plug (where the dash harness and back up harness to the trans plugs together) with a single, "double" wire. It looks like a lamp cord. The back up harness is dependent on what transmission it had. Either the T-10 or the Muncie. You could get a 3-speed with ALL engines in a SS in 1963. Yes, even the 409s. The 3-speed was still shifted from the column in the SS.

All engines 300hp and up (300hp 327, and all 3 409s), with a 4-speed, WILL have a factory tach. It was a mandatory option. Optional on the 250hp 4-speed cars. But that's true for the Impala's, too.

Post your findings or pictures. I'm sure we can help you out!!
Ross

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Examples of mandatory options (at least 10 or more)---in this particular case, on a '61 Impala SS.

http://www.348-409.com/images/misc119.jpg

Example of the tach as standard equipment---it was included with the RPO M20/M21 4-speed option on 327/300, 409s and Z11 cars. Yes---you still paid extra for the tach but technically (not listed separately) it is not a "mandatory option".

http://www.348-409.com/images/misc61.jpg

Rick,
That's what I meant. I probably over simplified my explanation of the tachometer.
Ross

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Hey Deanlow,
Just to make sure we are on the same page, here is where your cowl tag should be, picture taken from the passenger side.

Attachments

• Firewall 2 5-12 B.jpg
    Firewall 2 5-12 B.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 56

Deanlow

Hello Ross
Thank you for the help.We are on the same page about the Cowl tag.After all this the owner did locate the Cowl tag i sent them a pic i had and this helped.I have posted a new qestion now i was wanting to decode the ACC codes? again think you for the help.

Regards
Dean

Deanlow

Hello Tom
Thank you very much for your help.The owner of the Chev in qestion located the Cowl tag they looked in the wrong place .If i can work out how to i will post a photo of the Cowl Tag.

Thank you

Dean

Deanlow

Hello again Ross
I want to say sorry Because i mentioned in my reply about you and i being on the same page! i read a email from bob and confused it for you.

Dean

Deanlow

Hello Bob
Thank you for the photo .The Chev im looking at buying the owner located the Cowl tag i sent them a photo of one on a chev in a book and this helped.

Thank you

Dean