Help with codes

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There are two versions of the 962 block. The first version is 61 to late 62, have a alpha numeric date code and do NOT have an X on the front nor Armasteel caps. The second version has an X on the front, Armasteel main caps and beefed up main bearing webs. They also have Julian dates. No 962's were being cast in 65 so that is a julian date, late version (probably late 62 or 63). I believe the 655 castings came out in 64 and were the last and best version of the 348 block if for no other reason than it had all the latest improvements in design or metallurgy.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The 962's ,like the 655's had the armisteel main caps and thicker bulkheads like the 409's for the most part did.The 5011 is not quite as strong of a block,but I wouldn't be afraid of 500-550 hp out of one.
Thanks again Don, great info!!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 962's ,like the 655's had the armisteel main caps and thicker bulkheads like the 409's for the most part did.The 5011 is not quite as strong of a block,but I wouldn't be afraid of 500-550 hp out of one.
Haven't had my 011 on dyno yet but I'll get back to you on your hp numbers if she breaks. Forged internals should hold together for more but whether the block does is the question. I'm pretty sure that the only thing keeping it from hitting 550 will be the cam.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Cecil, Thanks for getting me straight on date codes but it still leaves the {2K} question.?? What is it?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know of an early 58 block that went out to 437 inches,made 650 plus,withstood a bunch of dyno tests,and was raced for over a year at as high as 7200 and had no fretting issues at all when torn down due to a roller cam and lifter failure.
My machinist says they are good for 700hp but quality parts is absolutely everything. 650 is healthy! Mine is 434 and has some worked 690 heads but my current camshaft and 881 intake isn't going to max the overall bottom end combination.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, Thanks for getting me straight on date codes but it still leaves the {2K} question.?? What is it?
The alpha -numeric suffix codes are non-automotive applications like irrigation pumps, farm equipment, possibly marine use. I have a 962 348 that came out of a New Hollland hay baler and it has a 4K suffix code. I had another 962 that had a 2K but I don't know what it came out of. It had a late 61 alpha-numeric date casting, non- armasteel main caps, no X on front and no CFD.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I just looked at the 962 block I have and it has the "X" and a Julian date code, so my guess is it's a 1963 version.

962 block.jpg

Been a while since I flipped her over, but I expect she has ArmaSteel caps.