Help with heater core replacement--

playswithcars

Well Known Member
I have a 64 Impala SS with non working factory a/c. The heater core needs to be replaced. I have loosened all the fasteners, electrical wiring and cables on the engine side of firewall. Everything remains tight and not loosening. Under dash, I can not determine how or where the unit splits or where it fastens to the firewall so it can be removed. Not even sure if the heater core comes out the engine side of dash side. Can anyone help me out?

Also need some help on removing the dash metal insert and the speedo/gauge custer. It needs a little cleaning, etc, replace burned bulbs.

Thanks,

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
heater core

If it is like a 59 or 62 it will come out on the dash side . You will need to take out the large heater/AC box under the dash, should be able to see the heater core after. I replaced my 59 El Camino about 2 years ago.

W Head

59 \El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I'm not sure about the A/C part... My 64 non A/C unit dropped out on the passenger side.. There is a rubber seal from the firewall to the box. If there has been leaking it may be just stuck from corrision.. There are some engine side firewall bolts that are very hard to see and get at. You almost need to take the left fender off to get at them but is can be done with the fender on with little hands and fingers...

I have a 64 Impala SS with non working factory a/c. The heater core needs to be replaced. I have loosened all the fasteners, electrical wiring and cables on the engine side of firewall. Everything remains tight and not loosening. Under dash, I can not determine how or where the unit splits or where it fastens to the firewall so it can be removed. Not even sure if the heater core comes out the engine side of dash side. Can anyone help me out?

Also need some help on removing the dash metal insert and the speedo/gauge custer. It needs a little cleaning, etc, replace burned bulbs.

Thanks,

playswithcars

Well Known Member
Thanks Old School, I'll check further. As you said, everything is very tight and hard to see.

Off subject. I see you are from Chico, CA. Do you know an old neighbor and friend of mine named Joe Cruse. He was my neighbor and race buddy in Vacaville in the early 60's. He was or still is a premier custom car builder featured in all the car magazines years back. I'll PM you.

Any help with the dash panel removal would be great.