Hemmings listing for Z-11 engine parts

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Those parts have been on the H.A.M.B. for awhile, I guess he's trying a new market since no one on the H.A.M.B. would buy them.

H

HOTROD409

Do you think it's a case of would or COULD ???????
S.U.O.S.A.
If the valve covers were square......... !!!:crazy:tongue:brow

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just saw these parts on the trifive.com site. Seriously, are those parts worth that kind of money?? Will someone really pay that much for them?? I don't know. That's why I am asking. Also, let me ask this. Can't you take lets say a set of 690 heads and make them into Z11 heads?? There has to be specs around to do this. What makes these heads and intake so valuable?? Bragging rights?? Special casting number?? Want to complete a Z11 motor??, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The Z11 head does appear thicker then the 690, but the intake ports seem bigger on the 690. So why exactly is the Z11 head so much better?? I’m trying to justify spending $62,000.00 on the purchase. Yeah. Right.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks guys. I just wonder if these were a high performance head, how come they didn't make more of them?? Maybe offer them with some type of option to the public?? Does anyone think GM missed the boat by not doing so??

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Carmine, there were 50 Z-11 engines built for the 50 cars, so that’s 100 heads.
In addition, there were the spare parts of individual heads built for over the counter sales, no one knows how many of those were made, no records kept, plus the “0”- preproduction heads used in the summer of 62 and no one knows how many of those were made, but a very, very small number.

I personally have had 10-12 sets over the years of both castings.

Chevrolet was working on performance engines utilizing the 409.

Zora and his team were working on the Z-11/427 project while Dick Keinath and Bill Howell were using the 409 lower end to develop the now famous 427 Mystery Motor which became the 396/427.

All the engineers were doing their best to make their work significant because the rumors were getting louder about pulling out of racing.

When it finally happened in early 63 it took all the wind out of the sails. I remember it well!!
When they stopped all the “skunkworks” projects stopped!! It was a bad time. It took over a year, all the way through 63-64 for some resemblance of performance stuff to come out. It did so as what they called “Heavy Duty Service Parts”. We received these separate list for “extreme duty, heavy duty”, etc.
Hope this helps.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
No, the Z-11’s were built for only drag racing. There were a few single 4 Z-11 intakes built in case the engine was to be used somehow in NASCAR. I’ve got one of the intakes.

AD04DAC2-D5B5-435B-89D5-767DFB7F25A0.jpeg

Regarding NASCAR info, I’ll defer to others better versed.

I did learn there were to be 50 427 cu in MYSTERY MOTORS for Daytona.
In reality it’s believed there were only 29 or so built.
Chevrolet engineer Bill Howell told me they had built 3 versions, a 396, a 409 and a 427. The 396 made the most HP, but they had to get the 427 cast and to Daytona since that was the size chosen by Ford and 426 for Chrysler.
They shipped about 14-15 to Smokey and about the same to Ray Fox. When NASCAR came to count the engines to get to 50, they would load engines in a truck and quickly drive them to the other shop. Never got caught:)