Here you go Phil (1962 Corvette)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Tommy's correct, the so called "birdcage" can rust out while the fiberglass can look just fine. Look closely!

Anyone over 6'2" and over 200 lbs is a snug fit in a C1 Corvette and the seats don't adjust. I know at 6'5" I don't fit beneath those steering wheels. I barely fit in a C2...

But once you're tucked in there, they steer like a truck with a lot of horsepower :).

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a customer with a 69 corvette, some years back he was complaining that when he hit a bump rust would fall in his lap. I pulled the interior trim out and found the windshield frame was rusted out. Not what I was thinking when I said I can fix that. :facepalm

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
C1's are tight, when I was in high school a good friend of mine got a 57 Corvette. The problem was he was 6'6" and could not fit with the big steering wheel, he had to put a tiny aftermarket steering wheel on it in order to drive it. His head would touch the top of the hardtop but it was a cool car. I remember it had a three speed in it originaly but he bought a 4 speed out of a GTO that had a tall HURST shifter that almost came up to the top of the dashboard it kinda reminded me of one of the Rat Fink cars with the gear shift sticking out of the top of the car, Lol.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you for looking for me Tom. PG????????????????????????
Have to rebuild engine to 300HP or higher and find a Corvette 4-speed conversion setup.
But...keep up looking for the ads!!!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
That 250 HP 327 was the "base" engine in the 1962 Corvette, but most upgraded to the 300 or 340 horse engine. The PG was an option, as a three speed was the "base" transmission. Not to many were ordered with a 250 horse Powerglide, so from a "Corvette enthusiast" perspective, that's kinda rare. Like most folk, I prefer more horses and a four speed :). I thought it being in Missouri that it might be worth the look.

I've driven a 327 PG Corvette (1965) that had PW and AC and it was quite nice :).

I'll keep looking! TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Tom!!!!! I've looked at just above every sight!!!!!

Pat and Corvette persons... ...what does it mean to "still have the straps around the rear end?" Why were they needed?????? I'm confused!!!!!!!!!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Tom!!!!! I've looked at just above every sight!!!!!

Pat and Corvette persons... ...what does it mean to "still have the straps around the rear end?" Why were they needed?????? I'm confused!!!!!!!!!
Are you talking about the anti roll body straps on live axle Corvettes?

Last edited: