Hi from Stuttgart

Overhead8

I´m reading in this forum for a couple of months now and I´m always faszinated how much knowledge about W engines can be found here.
I´m form Stuttgart Germany and Car Lover since I could talk. My first car that I bought was a 1972 Nova, I did a Frame off restauration on that one. There were always a couple of other cars parked in my garage as well, but nothing serious.
Always dreamed to own a 61 or 62 BelAir 2door Sedan.
Still don´t own one, but I ran across a 409 crusader marine engine last Year and bought it. Still can´t believe the story.
I bought it at ebay in Swiss from a guy who lost interest on his Chevy stuff.
He had a 1965 Impala SS 409 DualQuad Four Speed Positraction. Sold it a couple months before I found the engine at ebay. You won´t believe what he´s driving around with now. He prefers a Triuph TRsomething,hahaha
I got the engine cheap, a lot of extra parts, too. Later found a 348 complete engine, too. Bought it also. To complete the list, I found one more 348shortblock, but in very bad condition. Pistons were stuck so much that the former owner has beaten holes in them trying to remove them. Block was lying in the rain a couple of weeks....
So you see, I have big interest of learning from the real guys, hope to run across a nice project car, spending my time now collecting Info and parts and rebuild my engines.
Nice to join this great forum
Cheers:D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome!

All the way from Stuttgart, now that's quite a distance! I'd be interested to learn how you became interested in the early 60s Chevys. I also think the 1961 and 1962 body styles are the best, given the variety of offerings.

I am guessing that a 1961 Belair 2 door sedan would be fairly low production, I don't see them all that often. The 1961 Belair sport coupe is an even better look, in my opinion. They are pretty rare as well. It seems that there are more Impalas from that year that people make available for sale.

The 1962 Impalas are (were) a new design with formal roof lines and more of a "slab" side on the quarters. Good look, but it's hard to beat the looks of the 61 sport coupes :). In '62 there seem to be a number of Belair 2 door sedans around, but again we see more Impalas over here in the States. The top catch from 1962 would be the Belair sport coupe, combining the best of 1961 with the new lines of the 62.

What is the availability of cars like this in your part of the world? I would guess we see many more here, but time and the elements do take their toll :(.

Cheers!
TomK

Overhead8

Yeah, it´s really hard to get something here.
Actually I have a favorite model in every year. I would be glad just to find something. Yes the 62 belair Bubbletop is King for me, but hard to find and expensive, right?!
In Swiss there are often found early sixties Chevys, but mostly fourdoors.
Or maybe come over and get something in the US.
Dollar is low.
In Sweden there is an interesting market also. Lots of cars there!!
Saw a 1964 Pontiac Parisienne there recently. Something different...
Here in Germany nobody knows about the Chevy Chassis under Canadian Pontiacs.
I just have to wait. The right car will cross my way, I´m sure bout this. Like the engines did!! I´ve got time. Have to save money for a serious engine build up first!!