High capasity oil filter problem

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a problem with this new high capasity oil filter I bought. I decided to put it on today, but it will not fit. I thought the nipple from the oil filter adaptor would fit all Chevy spin on filters. The nipple is 3/4 and I guess the thread on the new filter is just a little bigger at 13/16.
I am currently useing the fram PH8A. The spin on oil kit said to use that filter or AC Delco PF 2. Does anybody know if these come in a high capasity too.
Since my oil pan has been modified and I lost some capasity, I would like to increase it with a high capasity oil filter.

Last edited:

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Randy, I believe the PH8 and Pf2 are common Ford filters. If you can't find a larger capacity Ford filter, you could order a spin on filter adapter that accepts Chevy filter. The adapters are not expensive so this would allow you to use a larger capacity Chevy filter. I'm sure you are aware that the original cannister filters are larger if you find a truck cannister.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes, I still have the canister oil filter. It not a truck one, but more capasity than the smaller spin on. I just thought by converting it to spin on, it would be faster and cleaner to change the filter out.
I bought the spin on conversion from Show Cars, thinking that I could use it on Chevy filters. But I guess I was wrong. I did call Show Cars and again they recommended the filters that I have been using, AC PF2 or Fram PH8. So they are using a Ford filter on our Chevy? Doesn't matter to me, just as long as it does it's job.
So now, I have to find a Ford filter with high capasity with 3/4-16 thread. I have seen a few, but the thread is again too large.

Last edited:

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Something like the WIX 51459 or 51773 will probably fit the bill for what you're wanting. Cross-reference to your favorite filter brand.

WIX has a filter look-up tool that will let you search by thread size and provide you with a larger list. The screenshot below is sorted by largest height for the 3/4-16 thread.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 9.41.55 PM.png

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Yes, I still have the canister oil filter. It not a truck one, but more capasity than the smaller spin on. I just thought by converting it to spin on, it would be faster and cleaner to change the filter out.
I bought the spin on conversion from Show Cars, thinking that I could use it on Chevy filters. But I guess I was wrong. I did call Show Cars and again they recommended the filters that I have been using, AC PF2 or Fram PH8. So they are using a Ford filter on our Chevy? Doesn't matter to me, just as long as it does it's job.
So now, I have to find a Ford filter with high capasity with 3/4-16 thread. I have seen a few, but the thread is again too large.
Randy, looks like you have the "no bypass" adapter that is used with Ford filters. The bypass is located within the Ford filter. The original spring loaded Chevy bypass valve is in the adapter housing above the oil filter. I would be using the original GM type of adapter (I buy they from NAPA) and then your long spin on filter should work. The Chevy filters do not have the bypass in the filter. The bypass is necessary for cold oil flow.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for all the info guys, it's great to have this support team. I ordered a NAPA filter today number 1773. It is the larger capasity and has the 3/4-16 thread that I need.