High mileage 5.3 truck

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Kinda impressed with my daughters 2001 GMC Yukon, 4 wheel drive, 5.3 liter , 321,000 miles. She drove from Chicago yesterday, spent the night , we had lunch together today before she headed to Indianapolis. Always carrys some extra oil & antifreeze in case she has to add some. Engine doesn't smoke, idles smooth, no noises. Damn thing still runs nice. She's had it so long we know it was never rebuilt. Hopefully she'll trade up before it gets much older. Oh yeah, I know the check engine light is on .

image.jpeg

Last edited:

425/409ER

Well Known Member
My 02 Suburban has 246K on it and it's a great truck. I paid $1000 for it, fixed the intake gaskets and the trans shifting problems. I added some new brakes with a set of my old wheels and tires, that Sub tow fantastic. Bought some 17 wheels and tires last fall as I want to put the BIG brakes from the 05-06 1/2 tons as they stop even better, need it towing. I like driving the Sub better then my wife's low mile 2011 Silverado.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Have any of you and your high mileage trucks ever replaced in tank fuel pumps?
Yes, two. It has never run out of gas and the filter gets changed once a year. One replaced because it was getting hard starting. The 2nd because the gas gauge quit working, and about a month ago it quit again. I have been re-setting the trip meter each gas fill.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A carpenter buddy of mine has a early 2000 chevy truck with a 5.3, has over 400K and its still going strong and he drives it every day. The body is another story its pretty rusty due to the salt St louis puts down, we get 1" of salt if it snows a 1/2"! I think the 5.3 is one of the best engines ever made not only do they run forever but they run good and are decent for pulling a medium trailer.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
My son has my 2003 with 325k on it and still going strong. Still has the original brake pads.

aah, Cecil how does that work? I can usually get 80K and using tow haul with car trailers. but Ann's driver she is lucky to get 50K.! But she has 269K miles. Several years ago I had a vehicle that the rears would barely get 30-40K never understood that one
Robert

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Makes me wonder how many of the newer 5.3's would go if the flex fuel crap was gone off them. Seems like the 07 and newer 5.3's sheet the bed pretty early compared to the original 5.3's

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
Makes me wonder how many of the newer 5.3's would go if the flex fuel crap was gone off them. Seems like the 07 and newer 5.3's sheet the bed pretty early compared to the original 5.3's

As far as I am concerned my 04 is the last truck I will own, I decided to give it new paint this year.