Holley Sniper on my '59 El Camino

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
When I purchased my El Camino, the builder had installed a Tuned Port fuel injection. It ran fine but had a sluggish mid range. I decided to update to a Holley Sniper. Finished it up after a couple weeks. I dropped the custom stainless tank, put a new higher psi pump in, new Wieand single plane intake, new Accel distributor, Lokar bracket for my existing throttle and kick down cables, and a bunch of other things need for the conversion. So far, I like it, but I am waiting for my air cleaner to arrive before I do much driving.

Attachments

• IMG-5320.jpg
    IMG-5320.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 32

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I purchased my El Camino, the builder had installed a Tuned Port fuel injection. It ran fine but had a sluggish mid range. I decided to update to a Holley Sniper. Finished it up after a couple weeks. I dropped the custom stainless tank, put a new higher psi pump in, new Wieand single plane intake, new Accel distributor, Lokar bracket for my existing throttle and kick down cables, and a bunch of other things need for the conversion. So far, I like it, but I am waiting for my air cleaner to arrive before I do much driving.
I'm glad to here you haven't had the issues with the Sniper that I've had with my buddies install. They're tech line is awesome and they finally figured that the throttle body was bad and sent a new one. So far, so good.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Keep us posted.Single plane intake? Must be a pretty rowdy small block.
It's mild. Holley Forum research/feedback indicated that an open plenum intake would work better than a dual plane so I went with the real world experience.

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm glad to here you haven't had the issues with the Sniper that I've had with my buddies install. They're tech line is awesome and they finally figured that the throttle body was bad and sent a new one. So far, so good.
I had a few install issues but they were self inflicted. The tech department was excellent.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I ordered a dual snorkel air cleaner for a more period look than a round aftermarket unit. It arrived yesterday and won't work. It has a 3/4" tube welded to the bottom that a breather hose would feed so it won't clear the top of the Sniper. Back to the drawing board. I wasn't goig to cut it off and then find that it still wouldn't wokk Too expensive to waste.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Is this what you don't want a round open element????? Available in chrome also......

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes, Don, I almost bought one of those but in reading the reviews, there was one that said the bulges in the bottom still wouldn't let it sit down on the top of the sniper correctly. Both my fuel inlet/outlets are on the rear and I used 45 degree An 6 fittings. I did buy just a chrome 3" X 14" air cleaner today at Jancen Motorsports which is local to me and it worked. I packed up the dual snorkel and took it to UPS to send it back to Jegs. I got to drive the Elky around some and I am very pleased. Great response through all throttle range. Turn the key to on, let the pump cycle and turn the key, and it instantly is running. This is the one that wouldn't work https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...4HX5B6e_BYiKTYYMXh6A8uSoB88eQhrsaAs4bEALw_wcB ( I had ordered it on Amazon and it came from Jegs).

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Would these have worked on the dual snorkel?? I had bought some of these local to make a air cleaner base mate to a edelbrock carb . Mr gasket spacers.

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
As an update, I have a couple hundred miles on the Sniper and I am very pleased. Has great response through all throttle positions. Turn the key to on, let the fuel pump charge (mayber10 seconds) and turn the key to start and it is running. Fast idle drops automatically in maybe another 10 seconds, and away you go. Woke up that little small block as it feels a lot peppier. I attached the hand held tuning/gauge unit with trim tape to my ashtray so I can keep an eye on what it is doing.

Attachments

• IMG-5339.jpg
    IMG-5339.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-5320.jpg
    IMG-5320.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-5333.jpg
    IMG-5333.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-5342.jpg
    IMG-5342.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 40

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Would this stock 409 dual snorkel air cleaner fit on the Sniper. No breathers on the bases.
I have factory air cleaner bases that are 4 & 1/8 inches(300 HP Carter AFB size) and 5 inches (380 HP and 400 HP ) in diameter.
Just wondering about the Sniper fitting stock air cleaners like these dual snorkle air cleaners.
Paul

IMG_0019-010.jpg

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Would this stock 409 dual snorkel air cleaner fit on the Sniper. No breathers on the bases.
I have factory air cleaner bases that are 4 & 1/8 inches(300 HP Carter AFB size) and 5 inches (380 HP and 400 HP ) in diameter.
Just wondering about the Sniper fitting stock air cleaners like these dual snorkle air cleaners.
Paul

View attachment 114383

Paul,
Pretty sure the Sniper takes a 5-1/8" base air cleaner. This adapter could work if you have the room.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The sniper is a 5 1/8" (5) base hole. Height is the problem. The weiand single plane leaves me with just under 4" to hood clearance. A drop base, if it will clear the sniper could make it work That would be a nice looking air cleaner! I am going to experiment some in the Spring. Headed to Florida shortly until then to get away from the snow and cold. I'[l probably be bored to death.- first time I am going for more than a couple weeks.