holly 4175

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
i have a 65 impala with a 4 bbl q-jet intake that i just put on. i bought a holly 4175 from summit racing because it said it would fit a qjet when i got it i put the gasket on first the stud flange bolts line up but the intake ports are no where near lined up is ther something i'm missing. the casting number on my intake is 3783244 here's a photo

Attachments

• 89_2.jpg
    89_2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 69

DennisK

4 bbl q-jet intake

It doesn't look like a 4 bbl q-jet intake to me. It looks like the older Carter, Rochester one. If you want to run the Holley or a Q-jet you will need an adapter or a differnt intake.:)

55Chevy283

wcfv intake

This intake is for the old webber wcfv 4 barroll and is not for the quadrajet. Alluminum Q-jet intakes are all over the junkyards on later model Chevys and can proberably be had for about $20.00. They dont have the oil filler neck though. The performer 2101 from Edelbrock does have this provision though you just have to put it on the mill or be very very good with a whole saw.

Henry

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
thanks

does any one know the adapter that i would need to run this holly 4175 on this intake and thanks to everyone for your quick response

DennisK

Adapter

Rickiie, I used two adapters to make this work. One was a Mr. Gasket 1932 and the other one was marked 1935, don't know if this was a Mr Gasket or not. It raised the carb about an inch. You would be better off with a latter model intake, cast or Aluminum. Chevy made these from about 1967 and on. Lots of aftermaket ones out there too. Try E-bay you may get a deal.:brow :brow Dennis

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
trans dapt

Trans-dapt should have an adapter, but a more modern manifold would work better and cost about the same as the adapter.

The Trans-Dapt adapter is p/n 2066 or 2266. Both adapt a Q-jet style carb to the "large" bolt pattern Rochester 4GC carb pads. The distances between the stud hole centers are:

Front to rear: 5-5/8ths inch
Side to side: 4-1/4 inch.

About the Holley Spread Bores, there are two distinctively different ones, one is designed to directrly replace the stock emissions calibrated Q-jets, the other is closer to the regular Holley most are familiar with. They are easy to identify.

The emissions carbs are ALL vacuum seconadry ones, and are not very workable as to the idle and off idle circuits. These feature reversed idle circuits, with the mixture screws being AIR screws, NOT fuel screws as on regular stype Holley carbs, and all the way in to their seats is the richest the idle circuit will go. This is usually too lean for a non-emissions configured engine. These carbs also use a two stage power valcve, for emissions as well, but a regular sinble stage power valve can be easily changed into the metering block. The main jets are what is referred to as "close limit". Looking at them will show what appears to be a regular jstting number for a Holley carb jet, but has another number, the number "2", up-side-down past the jet indent number. A regular Holley jet will flow 3 percent of the spec the jet has, 1.5 percent one side to the other of the number it is. The close limit jets flow a spread just half that, 1/5 percent differential one side to the other of the jet spec. These carbs flow 650 cfm.

The vacuum secondary Spread bore carbs are designed for dead stock engines, with NO modifications, not even a K&N filter in the stock air cleaner. NO modifications.

The other type of these Spread Bore design are the double pumpers. These carbs are close to the regular performance square bore Holleys. They have the same primary FUEL circuits and fuel screws the square carbs do, but will usually also have a two stage power valve, and are readily fitted with a single stage valve if so desired. There are two different flow rates of these carbs, the regular single feed, double pumper ones, as direct performance replacement carbs for Q-jets, 650 cfm, or the specialty ones with dual feed bowls and double pumps, for replacement on Pontiac 455 engines. These double pumper carbs use the same close limit main jets the vac secs ones do, and can be fitted with standard type jets if so desired. I run the larger Pontiac one on my big block Chevelle, and it works well. This larger carb has only a mechanical choke, but the 650 double pumper S/B has the same stock design choke the vacuum secondary carb uses.

Although the double pumpers are designed for emissions performance, they are also suited for performance applications, and can be easily set up as a performance carb.

Just info for everybody.

DennisK

Trans-Dapt adapter is p/n 2066 or 2266

Rickiie, Trans-Dapt adapter p/n 2066 or 2266 may not work on your manifold as the bore size on the mainifold is to small. The base of the adapter may be bigger than the top of the intake and the gasket may not seal it. This adapter may work on an AFB or Holley type mainifold but I had to use two adapters on mine because of the bore size. First adapter to get to a bigger size bore, the 2nd to adapt to a Q-jet type carb. Anyway this is how it work for me on my '30 Fxxd with a 348 and the small port/bore 348/250hp intake. :) Dennis.

Since this is posted in the small block section, I will go on the assumption we are speaking about a small block engine.

If so, I'd do one of two things, either find a stock small block Q-jet manifold (VERY easy, they are everywherre, or aftermarket Q-jet manifold (still very common), and do it right, bolt the Holley onto the manifold without adapters.

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
Thanks To All

Well What I Did Was Go And By A Performer 2101 Drilled The Hole At The Oil Tube Provisionthanks 55 Chevy 283 So I Could Keep My Stock Valve Covers. Whats Nice About This Manifold Is That It Gives You All The Same Ports As The Stock One Vac Modulator, Heater, Temp Sensor, Alt Bracket. Right Now I'm Just Buttoning Every Thing Up I'll Keep You Guys Posted Thanks Agauin For All Your Helpful Info

Aloha Rick Hayes