HOLY CRAP!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We use an all in one desk top computer that originally had Windows 8. I upgraded to Windows 10 about a year after we bought it. And like Paul mention, the computer is super slow with the Windows 10. My wife and daughter use there laptops so I'm stuck with the slow computer at home.:D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I am still using Windows 7. :appl My opinion. The best OS Microsoft ever made.:clap I had friends that had 8, and they really didn't like it that much.:dunno Windows 10 was a complete DUD.:confused We were informed, a while ago, that Microsoft won't be doing any more security updates, after this year. ( Don't remember, was it July?) Anyhow, I don't know what direction I will be going. Maybe 8 or 8.1.:dunno

Junky

Well Known Member
I upgraded one of the business computers to windows 10, and everyone hates it. Takes forever for it to boot, and is slow as a snail. I have a fresh copy of windows 7 that I am going to install on that computer when I have time. I am not concerned with the security updates after Microsoft stops supporting it, since I have nothing of value to anyone else on any of my computers. I use Windows Essentials for virus protection, malware bytes for malware, Ccleaner to get rid of cookies and repair the registry, and finally, anything that I don't want on my computer, I use BleachBit. I figure if it was good enough for Hillary to use to wipe her computer, it is good enough for me. Oh, I almost forgot about SpyBot and Webroot. All of these are free programs, and one you learn how to use them, they are very useful. I also bought a 5 year VPN and I use Google Incognito when I want to search for products on Amazon, since they want to track your every move.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know if Google Incognito works or not. I do find it very suspicious that Google, the organization that tracks everyone and everything violating privacy any chance they get would produce a product to circumvent their own policies of data mining and information storage.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Probably cheaper and easier to just get a new computer with all the latest stuff already on it. :D

Especially so if it has some age on it. My new one a couple of years ago with Windows 10 wasn't that hard to make the change to. I did have a problem where the screen would black out all of a sudden. It took them 2 tries to fix that. Had to reload 10 to make it work.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Most of the above advice is pretty good. It usually isn't worth the effort to continually support the older versions, or the older hardware for that matter. Windows 10 has a pretty big footprint, but it is generally solid. Office 2013 is almost 2 releases back, so that and 2016 should be good choices. The student versions are a great deal if you can get them; obtaining your software from "reputable" sources is a much better idea than trying to save a few bucks with some pirated, possibly infected copy. The same idea usually applies to hardware; "I know a guy" stuff can be pretty aggravating.

You don't have to, and probably shouldn't, store much in the cloud. Use it for backup copies of stuff like music and pictures. You are not required to put anything there, it's an option in all of the Office applications.

HTH.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Replaced my 2008 Mac this year, it was getting too slow and some software was not being supported. My Mac mini works great and still runs my 2008 Office programs. Never used antivirus since I bought a Mac.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
QUOTE="skipxt4, post: 459439, member: 1075"]I am still using Windows 7. :appl My opinion. The best OS Microsoft ever made.:clap I had friends that had 8, and they really didn't like it that much.:dunno Windows 10 was a complete DUD.:confused We were informed, a while ago, that Microsoft won't be doing any more security updates, after this year. ( Don't remember, was it July?) Anyhow, I don't know what direction I will be going. Maybe 8 or 8.1.:dunno[/QUOTE]

I have four PC's and all four had Windows 7 OS and your correct one of there best OS, I just upgraded all four too Windows 10, I bought the windows 10 on eBay for 27.95 per PC.

I was hesitant on upgrading each PC as I did not want my platform too change or lose/backup any data.

So I first loaded it on one of the PC's I don't use much. The windows 10 gave me the options of saving all my data and doc's.

So I clicked on that options and the PC is exactly the same as windows 7, I only had too learn how to use the new settings, task bar and search part.

I ran XP in the dirt because of all the issues with Win 8 and 8.1 and purchased Win 7 once XP support stopped. Win 7 support stops January 2020.

One thing most folks do not do is clean out their event logs located in Control Panel under system. That's why their PC's run slow, the first time I did the event log clean out I had 200K plus entries. I now do it monthly and my PC's are fast.

Windows 10 is SWEET!!!!!!!!

Below is my Win 10 desk top, I always thought Win 10 was going too be that confusing Blue desk top, Nope everything is just like Win 7 :drinking

[Win 10 Desktop.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Biggest difference that I find is you have to treat win 10 like your cell phone in that it was designed like it based on apps.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
UPDATE since 2015

I now have a new computer that is windows 10 of course. It's fine some differences but nothing that I can't overcome. Back when I tried that update it did something entirely different to my pc, which is why I set it back to 7. No idea what went wrong during the upgrade but what I got back then is not like what I have now.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This from Microsoft.......:cry
After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020.
My PC is from 2010 so looks like it's time to upgrade........:shower.........woe is me.....:confused

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I got the windows 10 update for free.
My brothers son, who is a Hospital Computer Security expert found it and downloaded it to my computer.

computer is too slow loading and opening my pictures -have to determine what is wrong with this issue.
Paul

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I got the windows 10 update for free.
My brothers son, who is a Hospital Computer Security expert found it and downloaded it to my computer.

computer is too slow loading and opening my pictures -have to determine what is wrong with this issue.
Paul
Paul, When we got our current desk top All-in-One computer, it had Windows 8 and worked well. When windows 10 came out shortly after, we upgraded. The computer has run extremely slow since then. I've upgraded the ram and no change. I truly believe that the processor just can't Windows 10. My wife and daughter have laptops that came with windows 10, and they work great. I think the only fix is to purchase a computer that was designed to run on Windows 10, but I'm certainly no expert on this. :dunno

Junky

Well Known Member
I hated Windows 10 on my older computers, and reverted back to Windows 7. I recently purchased a Windows 10 laptop computer just to see how I liked it. After a few weeks, I got a pop up notice that my Windows 10 would stop working since the software was out of date. I had to do all the software updates, and that gave me another 6 months of Windows 10. It has been widely publicized that Microsoft was going to have a licensing fee for Windows 10, and I am betting that once they have all of us on Windows 10, you will have to buy a license to continue to use it. It will probably be tiered to time lengths, so it will cost you more per month for 1 month vs. 12 months. My Microsoft stock should go up in value with a constant revenue stream for Microsoft. I guess that this is going to be the way of the future.
Can you imagine if you couldn't own a car, but only rent it for a specific time period, and being forced into renting a new one every 3 years, and the old one would be destroyed. There wouldn't be anything such as a used car available. I can see this happening in 10 years from now with driverless cars.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Microsoft pushing licensing on the public sounds about right. They already do it for the commercial side. We have to purchase so many licenses for so many things it is ridiculous. That is where the real money is. Every year. As for renting cars. It was just a year or so ago that I heard this conversation on some radio program. I wish I could remember the whole conversation, however they were talking about how you really don't own that car you just bought. It really belongs to the factory even if you buy it for cash. You are just using it. You don't have certain rights they were saying to the technology and software in the car. :wtfSmart TV, Refrigerator. What about the newer medical pumps they are putting in people for diabetes, heart and spinal issues. Do you have your yearly license for that software or Firmware :dunno2 Sorry, you didn't pay, click...………..

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is why I never got a penis implant. They wanted to charge by the inch, and then there was a fee every time you used it! :D

My buddy got the manual one. The pump is in his right leg. All he has to do is stomp his right leg repeatedly till he gets the size he wants. So far the only problem seems to be that women keep leaving. I guess they think he is having some sort of seizure or fit because he jumps out of bed and starts stomping on the floor :crazy That and the relief valve exits out the back causing a weird pitch noise :dunno2

Last edited: