Home Wrecker 2018 Recap

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well its the end of the season. Figured I would do an update. The big problem was ring butting so here is the update on that issue. The The edelcrap 750 carbs were fuel restricted on the secondaries. After modifications it is much better though I think the secondaries still need a little more help. Last jet change on the secondaries it really didn't respond yet responded jetting up the primary so I the the secondaries are up against a wall again. I also opened up the ring gap to .040. I wasn't having this issue again!!!!!! Despite that big gap, with a gapless top ring leakdown 2.5% and 5% on the two cylinders I checked on a cold engine and it hasn't changed in 20 runs. It wasn't even honed or bored with torque plates. Checked with a bore scope and cylinders look good. Minimal grey magnetic sludge on the magnetic drain plug after 20 runs. Before there would of been a big glob. So I am 85% sure my ring butting is gone. Added an accumulator and highly recommend! Hot idle oil pressure is around 35 at idle and would drop to 20 when hard on the brakes. Now it stays at 35 psi. Plus I can pre oil before every start up. Had a problem with fuel a few weeks ago. Car would fall on it's face when the clutch was dropped and pressure dropped to 3 lbs on the leave. New electric motor on the pump, new relay, and upgraded the regulator. Next time out made 4 good passes. Time after that 4 more passes and happened again. Weldon said they would send me a new redesigned pump to try when they get them ready. I'm also going to upgrade from -8 line to -10. Had personal bests on the last time out. Went 10.45, 10.43, upped primary jetting and went 10.32!!!!!!!!! with a 1.42 60 foot. I know I could of went 10.20s easy if I could of gotten a few more passes before the fuel issue. I still wanted to try more fuel, couple degrees of timing (still only 34) and put the ram air setup back on. One of those would of gotten me that last few hundredths to get to 10.20s. As a side note, after that pass a woman and her young son (maybe 6 years old) came up and took a few pictures in front of the car. My dad made the suggestion maybe he wanted to sit in it. I chased them down and asked and they were super excited. The kid had a huge smile sitting in the car and working the steering wheel. The mom must of taken 20 pictures and was just as excited. I had just made my best pass ever and they were more excited than I was! :) She somehow tracked me down and sent me a friend request on FB. She had all the pictures posted and even had video of one of my passes. It was all very cool and made the problems I had this year worth it. To see the joy the car brought them was just heart warming.

On another post I had a poll asking what the engine would dyno at http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/going-on-the-dyno.39030/ . Well it never made it to a dyno after the first dyno disaster (fast forward race cars plainfield IL :finger) but using the average of about seven calculators and averaging hp based on mph and e.t., It looks like about 680 hp though my engine man puts it at a minimum 700 in his experience. No surprise the winner is Mr. Don Jacks who guessed 665. Is anyone surprised? :appl

I think that's about it!
IMG_0138.JPGIMG_0012.jpg

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like the afb look. Seems right for the car. I would like to get 800s as they don't seem to be plagued by the same problems as the 750s. For now i'll have to settle for using my drill bits. I will get rid rid of the stock clutch fan this winter and get one of those moroso electric motor to drive everything. Mainly to cool it faster after a run. Maybe 10.1999 next year??????? I can only try and try I will! What it really needs is something better than the edelbrock dual plane intake. I really can't believe the car runs as fast as it is.