Hood Questions

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Can someone tell me what a OEM hood weighs on a 64 Impala?

Also thoughts on a pinned or hinged fiberglass hood besides needing 2 people to lift the pinned one off and using lighter springs for the hinged.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Can someone tell me what a OEM hood weighs on a 64 Impala?

Also thoughts on a pinned or hinged fiberglass hood besides needing 2 people to lift the pinned one off and using lighter springs for the hinged.
I will be watching this with interest also. I wonder if one guy can get the pinned off? Also what hard wear is needed for the rear pins? Hope I'm not stepping on your toes Dave. :hide

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I cannot tell you what the stock weight but I can tell you that VFN fiberglass makes a 1964 Impala hood that weighs 12 pounds at 12 pounds I was thinking would be removable by one person

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We have a glass hood and deck lid on the '67 Cutlass drag car. One man removal job. Fastened with zues (spelling) fasteners. Scotts '62 has a VFN glass hood with their light springs. The springs will NOT hold up the hood.

Lonnie

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My plain pin-on hood was built by (now shut down) AeroGlass Fabrications in Nashville, GA. Wish that place were still around. It weighs 9 pounds. I used 4 hood pins and never had a problem with it trying to come off. I put pins on the core support through the holes were the hood stops were originally if I remember correctly. At the firewall I bolted a couple "L" brackets bolted into the holes that the hood hinges bolted into the firewall. Mounting it like that I never had to drill any holes in the car for the hood. Don't ask me why I did that as there have sure been plenty drilled for other junk. :doh I could remove/install it by myself with no trouble at all. I'm 5/8" so my arms aren't super long either.

Later I bought a cowl induction bolt-on hood from a member here that he had built by a company in Canada called Show Cars Body Works or something like that. NOT Show Cars that we all know of who sales 409 parts. I'm not sure if they are still in business either. That one weighs around 40 pounds. I could not find my hood hinges and as I didn't want to add any more weight than I had to, I drilled through the hood and mounted it with pins as well. Again, never had a problem (except when some dummy forgot to put the clips in the pins before taking a quick test drive after playing with jets/timing :bang I could have killed the guy, but I don't believe in Suicide. :angry ) Luckily it only required minor work to fix the hood. I can remove/install this one by myself when I have to, but prefer to have a helper. Especially to put it back on and get the pins aligned with the holes in the hood. The size makes it awkward and the extra little bit of weight works against you when your arms are stretched across the hood and you are bent over the core support.

I also have a pin-on trunk lid made by VFN. It weighs less than 10 pounds. I use dzus quarter turn fasteners on it. Looks much better and is more secure as well. Just more professional looking too. They are a pain in the you know what to install though.

I wrote all that just to give some background on my experience with the FG hoods. If I were starting over I'd get a bolt on and keep my stock hinges and latch. In fact I have been strongly thinking about getting one from VFN in the next few years. Not a cowl, just a stock replacement.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
My 4" cowl hood(63) is a heavy piece.bolt on,springs they sent(tamraz..off eBay) didn't support hood,sent me the gold springs,they work.......must also remember there's going to be quite a bit of bodywork to get it smooth and flat and still you might not meet up the edges with the fender quite like the stock fender/hood.I believe the hood is actually a Glasstek item.I was told they had a good reputation on fitment.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I assume OEM similar weight to a 62, I can lift it, would guess in the 80 lbs range.

Don

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I never weighed my original hood by itself, but weighed it with the hinges, latch, latch support, etc. that I removed. I don't remember the number, but I know I dropped right at 100 pounds switching to the 9# pin-on hood and 4 hood pins.....so probably 100 pounds for the stock parts.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All this removing the hood by yourself talk makes me shudder as years ago I tried that on a 65 while I was wearing kinda thin shorts and managed to pinch my other head you know the one of us don't think so clearly with in between the front of the hood and upper grill part, never again will I try that even if I had one made out if fiberglass.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
9 pounds. Wow that explains why that hood at Great Bend flew so high in the air at the strip. Anyone else see that?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The hood on the 61 Pontiac weighed 67 lbs without any trim on it or hinges etc. (this was on an old bathroom scale we have at the shop so it may not be 100% accurate)
We used the heavier bolt on fiberglass hood and it was still pretty light.
We found we had to use a hood rod. Even very light hood springs caused the hood to bulge.

I find that these fiberglass parts tend to distort a little bit as they cure in the sun.
If you install fresh parts over the winter, it might be best to just paint them with black primer at first, then do the finish painting after the car has sat out in the sun a couple of times.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This is the underside of our VFN bolt on hood. You can see that it's got no bracing in the middle. It seemed like it was going to be a little too flexible, especially once we cut a hole in it for the hood scoop, so we added some wooden bracing. (we used cedar because it's light)

z.jpg

A cowl style hood might be more rigid because it would have more shape to it. :scratch

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Glasstek will make the bolt on hood with a metal rod molded inside the side if you ask. Keeps the hood from bowing with the heavier spring. Does weigh more though.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Stock 64 hood weighs 70 pounds with no moldings, it does have the factory hood pin in the front that latches it shut but no hinges, insulation or moldings. I've got one leaning against the wall in my shop so I just weighed it for you.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have taken my pinned fiberglass hood off at least a 1000 times by myself. Dave, next time I see you at the track I will give you lessons. :roll

Works for me Shan. I was talking to a shooting friend of mine that has had a lot of nice cars in the past. I was telling him about trying to get some weight off the car so I can go faster. The asshole told me to save my money on car parts, and go buy lettuce...................:bonk:anvil

Last edited: