Hot Rod Reunion Payouts / No Payouts

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes, and kinda like the Beaver Springs deal this year with the new owner. Everyone hung my ass out to dry at Thompson for less than what's going on at the Beaver. When are the track owners going to acknowledge that the racers are in a partnership with the track?

Who hung your ass out to dry at Thompson?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Who hung your ass out to dry at Thompson?
I'll rephrase that, some hung my ass out to dry, 80% of the racers said they were ok with Thompson. I was negotiating a stand alone 409 event at the time of the Fred Totten shootouts demise . We had no bargaining power as long as we were riding the coat tails of the Gasser Reunion. I was told that straight up. The first year I finally got a roped off area for the 409's to pit one of the Gasser guys was so pissed he packed his shit up and pulled out. Many don't know that a lot of the pushback was from the Gasser guys themselves. They were pissed that we were stealing the show. I can't remember the year but early on we had more 409 cars than the Gasser's. The track manager was all but impossible to bargain with I will agree with that. But it's time to move on. Their were more than one reason that event met its demise. I was made to feel by some that I wasn't up to the job running the shootout. Maybe that is true but I was still in there swinging the last year and planning for the next shootout. After trying to gain interest after 2013 I could see the handwriting on the wall. That's when I called Jim Curtis and told him we would not be back. So, I was as surprised as anyone when the fliers came out saying that the 409's would be putting on a show the following year. I called the track manager and told him again I could not interest enough 409's to continue. They did not correct the fliers. I personally didn't hear that we were being bad mouthed by the track. All I ever wanted to do was to honor the memory of my good friend Fred, go racing and have fun. I had no idea that the Fred Totten memorial 409 shootout would grow to be so popular. I'll take the blame for its demise as I was not up to the job. Money was never an issue with me. At one point I posted about the shootout, " it's a good test and tune" due to the early June date.

Last edited:

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Ray, I know you and I discussed many situations about the "Fred Totten Memorial Shootout", and we both felt number one priority was to see it continue, wherever that may be. I was the one who initially negotiated with Beaver Bob to host the event there 2 or 3 years ago. I had dealt with Bob multiple times over the years with MANDRA as well as a racer. Bob was always the most supportive of Nostalgia events at any track I have ever been at. Unfortunately, Bob decided to sell the family operation to someone that now must run it as a business. As a small business owner myself, I can appreciate the position he is in. He needs cars to put on a show, he needs spectators to support the payouts. Last year, they had the smallest turnout of spectators I think I have ever seen at a nostalgia event there. Bob paid 43 cars (I recall) for first round for the Super Stock shootout on Sunday, at $100 a pop. Plus he paid winner, R/U and semi-finalists. I would be surprised if Bob had anything left for himself or the track at the end of the day after his normal expenses, which is not a good long term plan for anyone. Mike seems to be trying to run the track better, investing money into the place for upgrades and better track prep. Word we hear from regulars is that it has improved. Mike has also been a regular racer at the track for years, and I believe he parked his personal racing to operate the track. We will see this weekend, and report back. I agree with Ray that we must continue the memorial race, and I would like to see one started as the "Allen George Memorial Race". Not sure if we can support 2 such memorial events, but I would like to try.

Not to hijack Bryan's thread, sorry for my ramble.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I sent a text to our Grand Poobah about a month ago, he won't talk to me but That's a whole different story, about have a section on the forum for past members. Hoping to have something we could share memories. Maybe we could have one event to honor all?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ray, I know you and I discussed many situations about the "Fred Totten Memorial Shootout", and we both felt number one priority was to see it continue, wherever that may be. I was the one who initially negotiated with Beaver Bob to host the event there 2 or 3 years ago. I had dealt with Bob multiple times over the years with MANDRA as well as a racer. Bob was always the most supportive of Nostalgia events at any track I have ever been at. Unfortunately, Bob decided to sell the family operation to someone that now must run it as a business. As a small business owner myself, I can appreciate the position he is in. He needs cars to put on a show, he needs spectators to support the payouts. Last year, they had the smallest turnout of spectators I think I have ever seen at a nostalgia event there. Bob paid 43 cars (I recall) for first round for the Super Stock shootout on Sunday, at $100 a pop. Plus he paid winner, R/U and semi-finalists. I would be surprised if Bob had anything left for himself or the track at the end of the day after his normal expenses, which is not a good long term plan for anyone. Mike seems to be trying to run the track better, investing money into the place for upgrades and better track prep. Word we hear from regulars is that it has improved. Mike has also been a regular racer at the track for years, and I believe he parked his personal racing to operate the track. We will see this weekend, and report back. I agree with Ray that we must continue the memorial race, and I would like to see one started as the "Allen George Memorial Race". Not sure if we can support 2 such memorial events, but I would like to try.

Not to hijack Bryan's thread, sorry for my ramble.
Like I said, it's not the money. I didn't blink an eye when the new owner pulled back the Sunday stayover $100.00. But the fee to rest my tires on the race track pushed me over the edge. I thought, what a cheap shot. He might has well put a fee on a good air day. If you want to make more money be up front about it, charge more at the gate don't try and sneak it in the back door.