Hougen RotaCut hole cutters

bobs409

Administrator
71cfsm59lLL._SX425_.jpg

WOW! These things are great! These are annular cutters like the mag drill takes but these are used in a hand held drill, drill press or mill instead. These are used on sheetmetal up to 1/4" thick plate. (cutters are taller than that, probably could cut up to 1/2" plate but...) Says up to 1/2" on plastics.

I needed a 16mm for some tooling I'm making so I got the metric set. I got mine here for $69.99:
https://www.mrmtool.com/Hougen-11077-RotaCut-Hole-Cutter-Kit--Metric_p_7468.html but many others sell for similar prices. (with this place, I got free shipping and NO sales tax!) Had them in 2 days too! These are all over amazon and ebay but you might have to pay ship or tax, do you homework! :D

I will be getting the S.A.E. set next, the small set is on sale for $75. They do have larger sets and combo sets that have the small and large. You can also buy each size separate if needed. (great if one gets damaged or worn out)

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bob, I can't believe you would even mention that you do anything related to metric tools!!:doh

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, I can't believe you would even mention that you do anything related to metric tools!!:doh

Don't blame me. The Certi-flat welding table I bought has 16mm holes. I want all the tooling/fixtures, etc that I make to have matching holes. I don't know why they went with metric. ?? 5/8 would have been good enough but whatcha gonna do? :dunno

If it's any consolation, the S.A.E. set arrived in the mail this morning. :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Watched a video on them . I could see the sizes from 1/2 inch up would be very useful for the bigger holes . The 1/2 down I would be ok with regular bits.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Once you use a mag drill and the Hougen cutters you will never go back.They work excellent on drilling out broken bolts.

bobs409

Administrator
Watched a video on them . I could see the sizes from 1/2 inch up would be very useful for the bigger holes . The 1/2 down I would be ok with regular bits.

I agree but I'm sure I'll put them to use on something. The smallest are 8mm and 5/16 in the standard kit.

bobs409

Administrator
Once you use a mag drill and the Hougen cutters you will never go back.They work excellent on drilling out broken bolts.

Agreed but watch out when buying cutters. I had to return a 16mm cutter I got from ebay. It was made in the U.K, I think Pro-form tooling or ??? The thing skated all over the place! Could not get a round hole, ended up egg shaped. I was able to use it to enlarge a 5/8" hole and it worked good there but the initial cutting geometry must have been way out of whack! Seller got that back and I got a refund!